Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

So are Giant hens pretty good layers?
I don't think so based upon what I've read. I wouldn't know from experience, mine hasn't started to lay yet. She is about 9 months old. The food to egg ratio is high. If you are keeping hens for eggs, I think there are much better choices. (My best layers are a white leg horn and a red sexlink)

So are Giant hens pretty good layers?
Mine was a great layer this past year! She had very good nutrition (I gave her some Calf manna, BOSS, cracked corn, kitten food, whole oats, and grit w/ oyster shell in her food). She was broody, molting, and laying at the same time... and was laying longer than any of the other hens.

I like the splashes like him, and the blues. I have a black cockerel that is recoopping [no pun intended] from a racoon attack, in another coop. He is very nice also, just not my favorite color. The birds in the background of some of the pics are my original JGs.

Nothing like a BIG ol' flock of Jersey Giants.
pop.gif

Hi, new to the JG forum. We have 7 jersey giants. 3 roosters and 4 hens. ( 6 black, 1 silver) I enjoy this breed as they are very relaxed and so far having that many roosters together hasn't caused a lot of issues. We had a beautiful white rooster but he got into a fight with another one our birds and he jumped the chicken fence.... Needless to say he was eaten by a coyote
sad.png

Total we have 33 chickens, hens and roosters total who reside with 2 guineas and 5 ducks.
Welcome!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom