Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Well, my hatch went horrible. Set 2 dozen eggs from a breeder, I went and picked up, and my instruments were off. The first one hatched early, ripped its abdomen, made a real mess out of the bator. Next one pipped on the wrong end of egg, drown while we were gone, took the dead ones out, and the rest died in the eggs, fully developed. My issue was with incubation, and I went right out and bought a different bator, and set 30+ more eggs last Friday. I have a dozen+ eggs sitting on the counter as we speak, and am waiting til this Friday to check my fertility rate. If it is low, or so-so, I will start eating that dozen+ eggs, checking the fertility on them, and start saving more eggs after that. My bator can only hold 41 eggs in the turner, so I will still have a few to eat in between filling the bator.
Clay, good luck dude!

Well, my hatch went horrible. Set 2 dozen eggs from a breeder, I went and picked up, and my instruments were off. The first one hatched early, ripped its abdomen, made a real mess out of the bator. Next one pipped on the wrong end of egg, drown while we were gone, took the dead ones out, and the rest died in the eggs, fully developed. My issue was with incubation, and I went right out and bought a different bator, and set 30+ more eggs last Friday. I have a dozen+ eggs sitting on the counter as we speak, and am waiting til this Friday to check my fertility rate. If it is low, or so-so, I will start eating that dozen+ eggs, checking the fertility on them, and start saving more eggs after that. My bator can only hold 41 eggs in the turner, so I will still have a few to eat in between filling the bator.

Sorry to hear that, Clay. A good incubator is an essential piece of equipment, to be sure. I feel like you need to "get to know" your incubator - the settings, what means what, if the temps run high or low, etc. Once you get to know these things, tweak it as you go until you start having really good hatches. Then, keep using those exact settings each time. It's also helpful to have more than one temperature and humidity guage, and to average the setting of them all. I often run 3 in my incubators just for peace of mind.

Also - hatching eggs need to be stored in cool (55-60 degrees) and very high humidity (70 preferred) in order to keep them viable for hatching. They should be turned 45 degrees daily, as well.

BEST of luck with the next hatch!!!

Clay, good luck dude!
Thanks Herman, I will keep you updated. I am expecting a much better hatch this time. I went and got a different bator, one with a turner. installed fan kit, and got some new instruments and check them. My other bator, which is a still air, is now being promoted to hatching only. I will make a few mods for this, but nothing major. Thanks again for the concern.

Sorry to hear that, Clay. A good incubator is an essential piece of equipment, to be sure. I feel like you need to "get to know" your incubator - the settings, what means what, if the temps run high or low, etc. Once you get to know these things, tweak it as you go until you start having really good hatches. Then, keep using those exact settings each time. It's also helpful to have more than one temperature and humidity guage, and to average the setting of them all. I often run 3 in my incubators just for peace of mind.

Also - hatching eggs need to be stored in cool (55-60 degrees) and very high humidity (70 preferred) in order to keep them viable for hatching. They should be turned 45 degrees daily, as well.

BEST of luck with the next hatch!!!
Thanks for the advise, Wynette. I also picked up breeding trios when I got my eggs, so I am getting several eggs a day from my flock, to put in the bator. I tried spreading things out with my last breed, and never did get it all worked out right, got chicks here, eggs here, rooster there. Never got anything cordinated together to get it right, and get things self sustained. This time, though, I went a different route, and am going to get it right. I am really fond of the giants, I have all blacks at this point, but plan on working in some blues next year, as I like the blues. I will keep you all posted on how this works out for me this time.

I caught my JG Leila in the big girl nest box today--woohoo, no more poopy eggs laid on the coop floor anymore. I built these huge nest boxes specifically for her and all the other hens immediately started to use them, but she had always laid on the floor until now ;)

As am I. I was really hoping for some judge comments and feedback on what things to watch for and what things to strive for in our breeding programs.
flat back? round back? tail carriage? head type? comb points? weight? leg color? chest slope? fluff?
Maybe not enough people know how nice that thread is, I do not yet have Jersey Giant Photos to post

Back
Top Bottom