Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Finally got caught up on this thread, love hearing about everyone's ventures with their Giants! Lots of cute chick pics and what a fantastic compliment from the judge at the show-Congrats on that!! Speaking of shows, we're having one this weekend in WA, put on by PNPA. I'm taking 8 and what a job bathing yesterday. By the time I finished I was dripping wet too
wink.png

Hope the hatches are improving; I too had a SLOW start as the girls just wouldn't cooperate. Going strong now and I'm excited to hatch some eggs from the show group.

Here's a few pics of some of my blues; they were just under a year old when I took them.

I also like this hen. Keep up the good work
ep.gif

I can't imagine someone bathing a chicken.! Do they protest and how do you hold their wings down? Any videos of that?
Haha video would be good. Usually they just love it. For these big ones I lug about 40 gallons of hot water to the barn and use 3 of the 20 gallon muck buckets, 1 for soap, 2 for rinsing. All is well until I drop my guard just a bit and somebody has a flap attack! I was wringing the water from my shirt before all was said and done
big_smile.png

With that being said, I will try to convey to you some of my findings.

I will be starting with a very small flock. This is where you breed your young rooster to your older hens, and your older rooster to the younger hens, and cull out all but the best of the oldest of you flock.

?? below

Third off, to get to the buy/sell/trade section of the forums, hover over the forum menu link at the top, and go down to the buy/sell/trade link and you can browse all the posts listed on there. I have seen the Blue JGs on there before.

I hope all my ramblings do not make the water tooo muddy for you, and good luck to us all on our programs.
cull out all but the best of the oldest of you flock.. = so.. what age.. is old enough.. with the JG's.. since they develop slower.. ?

Thanks for the Directions.. to the buy sell.. not much there.. will keep looking..
No offense taken! I'm thankful we have this forum where we can discuss things and politely agree to disagree, or debate and discuss pros/cons of whatever crazy chicken ideas that come up.
wink.png
Thanks.. for that .. Feaathers.. your understanding appreciated.

Hi All JG lovers! I am new here and am looking to expand my Chicken knowledge. I have read through a good many of the JG post so I can tell that you folks know yer birds. I have 8 black JG hens that I raised from one of the hatchery groups, they are 0ne year old now. I also have 3 hens I bought from a man in North Ms. They are coming three. They lay. The young ones do not. All are free roming and get scratch in addition to fresh grass, bugs, ect. The main Roo is Leroy who I bought for an Austerlop(sp) as a chick and raised. Hes a good boy and I figured until the girls were laying well then I would see about finding a Full blood JG Roo for the flock. He is an easy roo to be around and other than wooping the deog he gets along well with everything else. How long should it take these girls to start laying? From what I have read on this foram, they should have been doing so. I have tried the layer pellets, crumbles to no advil. They will only eat it if you shut them up and not let them out. They would almost go hungery first. They were raised on crumbles so they know feed, just only want scratch. I feed crushed oyester shells and put out grit also. I went to this breed cuz I got tired of feeding the Hawks in my areas. They leave the big birds alone. I got rid of the few game birds that were left(roosters) and just want the JG and Leroy ( for now). The pic was from Nov 2012. They are gentle birds and will follow me everywhere. They have an odd relationship with my Aussie that weould leave you in stiches. She know she can not run them but if she pets them they will run her. Hey it works for me......id I get duped by the hatchery? To me they look more like Leroy than your black hens. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom