Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Reinvestment, Giants should have yellow foot pads - Aussies will not. Giants are known for their long, flat (horizontal) backs, Aussies, I believe, are more of a "U" shape. So, the topline looks completely different on the two. Also, Giant tails are shorter, whereas Aussies tend to have longer sickles. And of course, Giants are, overall, way better looking than Aussies.
wink.png

Herman, it looks like you've got 2 blues and a black!

K Epp - they are an awfully stinking cute lot, to be sure! They look quite happy & healthy - great job with them!

ETA: chickenchaten, that pic is hilarious!

smile.png

don't look now,your love of Lord of the rings is showing
lol.png

Haha! Oh jeez... tell me about it! Who would've thought I'd express my love of Lord of the Rings through chickens?
lol.png

That's a great pic! Lol
lol.png

Oh my goodness. What a wonderful shot! They are beauties!

Haha! Thank you! I love my Giants!
smile.png

Has anyone here picked up eggs from Good Shepherd Turkey Ranch this spring? Frank Reese has a line of White Giants and is selling hatching eggs. I would have very high expectations of these birds.

I am in Indiana, and the postal service is not super reliable when it comes to hatching eggs... I wholeheartedly wish I had a way to pick up hatching eggs myself. Are there local Kansans here, or Missourians, who have made the trek (Lindsborg, that's 20 miles south of Salina / I70)?

If anyone from the area is driving eastward, spring 2013, to a show or for any other reason, I hereby place on the table an offer of $50
smile.png
...for egg transport services. That's not a lot, but ... I don't have a lot... and I am 100% serious. Unfortunately, my own travel options are very restricted, or I would drive to KS myself. In any case, I can get away from the farm long enough to rendezvous with you if you are driving through Indiana.

Best regards - exop

I'm trying to decide which of my yearling BJG to keep for breeding. Could some of you please post some pics of GOOD quality trait JGs. How large are the combs and watles supposed to be? 2 of mine are kind of medium while the largest roo has a much taller comb and longer wattles. Which is "better"?

Has anyone here picked up eggs from Good Shepherd Turkey Ranch this spring? Frank Reese has a line of White Giants and is selling hatching eggs. I would have very high expectations of these birds.

I am in Indiana, and the postal service is not super reliable when it comes to hatching eggs... I wholeheartedly wish I had a way to pick up hatching eggs myself. Are there local Kansans here, or Missourians, who have made the trek (Lindsborg, that's 20 miles south of Salina / I70)?

If anyone from the area is driving eastward, spring 2013, to a show or for any other reason, I hereby place on the table an offer of $50
smile.png
...for egg transport services. That's not a lot, but ... I don't have a lot... and I am 100% serious. Unfortunately, my own travel options are very restricted, or I would drive to KS myself. In any case, I can get away from the farm long enough to rendezvous with you if you are driving through Indiana.

Best regards - exop
Hello there! I have not seen any of Frank's white Giants in person, though I hear tell they are very good. I have Blacks and Blues, and am in SE Michigan; if you're interested in blacks/blues, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

I'm trying to decide which of my yearling BJG to keep for breeding. Could some of you please post some pics of GOOD quality trait JGs. How large are the combs and watles supposed to be? 2 of mine are kind of medium while the largest roo has a much taller comb and longer wattles. Which is "better"?

Per the SOP, the comb should be "rather large, straight an dupright, having six well defined and evenly serrated points..." and the wattles should be "medium size, well rounded at lower ends, fine in texture, free from folds or wrinkles."

I never thought of it in this way, but it's interesting that the comb should be "rather large" and the wattles "medium size" - one would think they would match in description.

I don't know whether larger wattles/taller comb would be better or not; the points deducted for comb issues are so minor, I never use that as a cull point. Also, it could possibly be that the one male you have with larger comb/wattles is simply because he's a larger bird. I would use the picture of them in the SOP as a guideline. I also believe that, so long as they are aesthetically pleasing to the head and the bird overall, a bird would not likely be faulted for wattles that may be a bit longer than "medium sized," but I could be wrong.

Hello there! I have not seen any of Frank's white Giants in person, though I hear tell they are very good. I have Blacks and Blues, and am in SE Michigan; if you're interested in blacks/blues, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
Just checked out your website..BEAUTIFUL BIRDS !!! im just starting with Black Giants i have a very nice looking younger and very large rooster and 2 hens and i am looking in to the blues/splash
they are such nice looking birds.

Ok here it goes!

I have a itch that needs scratched!

If someone doesn't start posting pictures I might go into withdrawn and relapse into taking pics of my own!

Just joking trying to bring myself out of this boredom.......

Lets see them Blues, hell lets see them all.........
bun.gif
no bunny's only Jersey Giants
D.gif
yes that is a White Jersey Giant.

LOL, Herman

hide.gif

You're funny, Herman. Okay, you asked for it! You said you wanted to see blues....here are some that I later culled... - these may not scratch your itch, but they ARE purebred Giants!

I have to say, I think the pic below is awfully cute:

Here are 3 as adults...can you see why I culled them? (and I no longer have this line.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom