Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I have 6 jersey gaint hens and 1 rooster I bought mine full grown but you can buy them on hatchery websites. Efowl has some for sale

4-h - looking GREAT! Keep up the hard work!

Chickadoodles - This does happen with solid black birds, not only in Giants, but in all breeds of solid black. I have seen it more in the blue variety, but I have seen it in the black as well. I would not use that bird for breeding.

Jake - yes, you can get Giants at most hatcheries; most of the folks on this thread are breeding for exhibition quality, which you cannot find at hatcheries. Each has its place, though!

4-h - looking GREAT! Keep up the hard work!

Chickadoodles - This does happen with solid black birds, not only in Giants, but in all breeds of solid black. I have seen it more in the blue variety, but I have seen it in the black as well. I would not use that bird for breeding.

Jake - yes, you can get Giants at most hatcheries; most of the folks on this thread are breeding for exhibition quality, which you cannot find at hatcheries. Each has its place, though!
Thank you Wynette! I won't breed her. I have one more hen I can use when she is older.

My 9 week old BJG a roo & hen

My 9 week old BJG a roo & hen
for me its around 6 to 7 weeks when i could tell forsure the sex of a JG but im pretty new to these guys and have only raised 17 babies but at around 7 weeks the roos will start to develop little wattles and their combs will start to out grow the pullets and also the color of the comb and wattles will start turning red on the roos.. now i did notice earlier on that some of the combs on the babies run up the heads more than others and they all turned out to be roos.. hope this helped

New Photos of the COOP!!
wink.png

its hard to tell but this is the North end where the run doors will go.
This is a frontal view
this is a front view of the north end
same angle but a closer view
this is of the South view
I got Rebel in this shot. It might give a better idea on the size of the runs with him in the photo.

I'm so way past ready to put my JG in this coop!!!!!!
Im so jealous...lol!!!! I want one that big...that is huge!!!!!!! I'm so showing this to my husband, I hope he is ready to build a house for the chickens..lol!!!! That is looking NICE! Im sure ur JG will love it!!

New Photos of the COOP!!
wink.png

its hard to tell but this is the North end where the run doors will go.
This is a frontal view
this is a front view of the north end
same angle but a closer view
this is of the South view
I got Rebel in this shot. It might give a better idea on the size of the runs with him in the photo.

I'm so way past ready to put my JG in this coop!!!!!!
Can't wait to see it when its finished! Loving it!

Im so jealous...lol!!!! I want one that big...that is huge!!!!!!! I'm so showing this to my husband, I hope he is ready to build a house for the chickens..lol!!!! That is looking NICE! Im sure ur JG will love it!!

I'm yjealous too. We have a nice big space and all, but..... We dont have all that beautifull green grsss and trees. I remember all that from when I was a kid living in Ohio, now we live in Texas. I love Texas, but it doesnt rain much out here. However.... It also doesnt SNOW much either.
Can't wait to see it finished. Your Giants are gonna love having all that room.

I am new to the Jersey Giant breed but i am loving them!!! Hatched out my new flock last month!! Hatch went really well and now it is time to move them out into the coop!! Fat and healthy babies!!! I really like this breed. THis is my first time raising them! I have Plymouth Barred Rocks in the coop now and they are doin well! SO fun!! Chicken addiction!! Looking forward to see who crows and who doesn't !! LoL hoping not to have more roos then hens. Is there a way to tell before they start crowing?

Back
Top Bottom