Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Don't be in to much of a hurry to judge JGs, I am amazed at how big some of my hens are at 1.5 years old that at 6-8 months I started to cull due to size. The giants mature and grow slow just like giant breed dogs and horses. With time some will really surprise you. One breeder told me to wait on culling some of my first hens and now I'm glad I did. Also the slower growing ones don't have as much of a tendency to have leg issues.
I am that way also, in a hurry and know they will be smaller due to them being hatchery birds. I am so impatient for next year. I want 4 Jerseys from a good breeder in hopes of a 9-10# girl. Some breeders do not sell in small numbers though. I want pets, I don't need them papered.

Don't be in to much of a hurry to judge JGs, I am amazed at how big some of my hens are at 1.5 years old that at 6-8 months I started to cull due to size. The giants mature and grow slow just like giant breed dogs and horses. With time some will really surprise you. One breeder told me to wait on culling some of my first hens and now I'm glad I did. Also the slower growing ones don't have as much of a tendency to have leg issues.

I am that way also, in a hurry and know they will be smaller due to them being hatchery birds. I am so impatient for next year. I want 4 Jerseys from a good breeder in hopes of a 9-10# girl. Some breeders do not sell in small numbers though. I want pets, I don't need them papered.
Chickens aren't ever papered, like horses or dogs. There's a breeder in Washington (I have four of her birds, Three blacks and a blue and they are lovely). She sells in small numbers I think (I got eggs). Let me know if you want her info.

TC

Chickens aren't ever papered, like horses or dogs. There's a breeder in Washington (I have four of her birds, Three blacks and a blue and they are lovely). She sells in small numbers I think (I got eggs). Let me know if you want her info.

TC
Thank you very much! That sounds really nice. I was being a little sarcastic about my comment. I want good, heavy Jersey Giants for pets and eggs. They don't need to be "show" birds or birds that people raise to be perfect. Sorry.

Some of my 3 month olds

Thank you very much! That sounds really nice. I was being a little sarcastic about my comment. I want good, heavy Jersey Giants for pets and eggs. They don't need to be "show" birds or birds that people raise to be perfect. Sorry.
Sorry, I thought you were serious. Many people think chickens can be papered, and I thought you might be one of them.

As far as mine go, I'm not going to keep them. While really nice, I'm concentrating on the Blu Copper Marans.

These were from a lady who got her eggs from a breeder in Scottsburg, In. A bit pricey huh!

(Copied from her website - not an Advertisement)​
Maria's Jersey Giants, since 1977

2013 PRICE LIST
Hatching Eggs (black, blue, splash) for $125/dz. includes PRIORITY Shipping/Handling. Express mail is $20/dz more.

12 newly hatched chicks-$14 each plus $25 Priority Shipping & Handling. The Box is included in price.

3 - 6 weeks of age (unsexed pets)- $20 each

PET PRICES

6-12 wk Pullets - $70.00
6-12 week old roosters- $35.00
6-12 wk. pair: $90.00
It's a pity you don't live closer, mine might be just what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom