Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I use 18x18 nest boxes and all my girls fit just fine. My biggest hens do almost fill them, but no frayed tails here. I get complements all the time from people buying my eggs for eating, they say JG eggs taste better. They hate hatching season because I don't have near as many eating eggs for sale. Lol!!

Yea, if I was doing this all over again, I'd totally do it different. I'm just a city gal who wanted some chickens for the garden. So I started out with one of those little doll house coops. That was my first mistake.

My second mistake was getting a mixed flock of four hens. When you just have such a small flock, get all the same breed to eliminate some of the fighting and pecking order. Although I will say, the JG immediately took the roll of the alpha hen and has always been awesome. Doesn't peck. Breaks up squabbles.

I really wanted a Black Astralorp. But the store was out. The guy asks what I wanted and I said a big black chicken. He says, here, get a Jersey Giant and puts one into the box. I LOVE her and wouldn't trade her for the world. But JG's are probably not the best choice for a small back yard setting. I've sat on the patio and watched her dig up a fully mature rose bush. Took her 20 minutes. She can move VOLUMES of dirt, bark and debris from the garden up on the patio. Anything I plant has to be staked or have a welded wire ring put around it for weeks until it's established or she'll just dig it up.

But she's also a great asset the few times a year I decide to spread compost around. I just put a big shovel full by each plant and she comes in behind me and spreads it around.

I don't mean to sound snobby here as I am also new to chickens but not new to breeding. One of the great attributes to giants is their size and good attitude from the one I have and from all that I have read about them. If you don't like the size then why choose this breed? Whether someone shows or not, the decline of any breed is NOT breeding to the standard. I'm sure if you asked any chicken breeder, they would probably tell you that only a very small percentage actually show well but they continue to strive to the SOP as ANY breeder should. Anyone who breeds a heritage bird should always try and breed to the SOP. It's what keeps the birds we all like so well, true to form and character.

I will add that not all breeders who show are sticking to the SOP either when they breed for the fluff I refer to.
Here's the thing about this whole "breeding to SOP" thing. If a breeder is breeding for anything other than what is called out in the APA's SOP for them, they will be eliminated when they are shown. A judge is judging based on that SOP. Anyone saying they are breeding fro something different is simply not breeding for exhibition. I personally don't feel there's anything wrong with that - this is America, do what y'all wish. But - just don't then say that you're breeding for exhibition. Which leads me right into my next comment - when you're looking for quality birds, always be sure to ask the right questions. If you are wanting to breed for exhibition, ASK THE BREEDER if they breed to the SOP and if not, why. Ask them if they regularly show, and how they have placed in the past. If they're not breeding for exhibition and that's what you'r wanting, simply move on & find a breeder who is.

Wynette.. thanks so much for posting..
I do not know what split wing is.. is there a link some where i could learn more on SOP for these.?
Is split wing bad for all birds or just JG's?
I've been looking at NJG Club and see info on feet color nice to know .. that when laying the hen's feet may loose its color .
She is just a hatchery bird.. and not even a year old.. Thats how i wanted to start and make any Housing / Husbandry mistakes on less expensive stock.

I've got some eggs coming end of month. .not long now.. from some one on this list.. forgot the name.. oh.. Farmac.
but I'm hoping this hen or one of the others will go broody and let me switch the eggs for chicks .. < it worked once before for me.. > .
I've had Freezing night time temps.. and wanted to leave eggs in for them.. but when they lay on top a frozen egg the new one brakes..
I tried golf balls.. and fake eggs.. but they know the difference and kick them out.
I think it's a fantastic idea to start with hatchery stock when you're beginning with poultry; see which breed you are keen on, identify why and what your goals are when making the switch to a heritage breed, then go for it!

Split wing is a DQ for any breed; it's found in the General Faults section of the SOP. There are drawings that illustrate it, but I bet you could also find plenty of threads on here with good pictures. I'll see if I can find a good one next & post a link here.

Please get yourself an SOP - they are not cheap, but VERY MUCH worth the investment. This is your poultry bible, of sorts. You'll find SO much excellent information and illustrations in it!

Okay, I forgot I ever posted this, but here's a very good picture (a very old pic, but shows the fault well):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/375288/swedish-flower-hen-thread/5740#post_11695142

Last edited:

some of our blue babies this year

Last edited:
clap.gif

SO happy to see folks hatching! I've got my first (very small) hatch under my belt, and will be setting another several dozen this Saturday. Can't WAIT!

Had three babies hatch today. A blue, a black and a splash:)
Very Cute.

I have 28 babies growing well, and I think 35 more JG eggs in the incubator!!! I'll try and get a pic of the 28.

Had great luck with the blues. 3/16 should have been blue, so out of 28 I should have gotten 5, and I got 11.

AWESOME, Framac! Glad to hear it!

lgrant, I think you've got 2 blues and a black there. The blues are often different shades of blue, and to me it looks like you've got a light and dark. The splash will be yellow at hatch; I thought I had a pic of a splash chick, but I can't find it right now - but, here's a pic of two light blue:

I took this pic a couple of hatches ago to show all three colors for my sale add.
I kept some from my first hatch for some new breeders, they are 5 weeks now. I'll try to get a new pic with all three colors again.

Back
Top Bottom