Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I mistakingly ordered Black giants thinking they were Jerseys,duh newbie. I went to Ohio national to see real giants and oh my!! Want some! I really hope to get a few blue giants this year if I can. I have several other gentle breeds in my brooder box now.

I mistakingly ordered Black giants thinking they were Jerseys,duh newbie. I went to Ohio national to see real giants and oh my!! Want some! I really hope to get a few blue giants this year if I can. I have several other gentle breeds in my brooder box now.
Well, "Black Giants" from a hatchery are their version of Jersey Giants. So, they'll be the breed you want, they just won't be the quality of heritage-bred stock. I missed OH National...went last year, though! They had plenty of nice ones last year, but I don't recall any Blues shown - did you see Blues this year?

Hi, I'm new to byc, I was hoping someone could help me find JG's in Canada?
Hi there - I have contact info. for someone in Canada that has my line up there - they are now in lay, and I'm sure they can help you. I'll PM you their contact info.

Hi again! Thank you for all the info! I was afraid 5 hens wouldn't be enough! I am glad that will be OK. I had 14 hens and 1 roo before, a australorp/polish mix...As far as I coulf tell, he got the job done, but we don't usually hatch, so it wasn't a big issue...and he was always so happy! :)
One other question...will even the "day old" chicks have the yellow feet?
Thanks again! Am very excited about this breed!

Thank you SilkieChicken! That is just what I wanted to know! Can I ask, how many hens do you have him with? Will 14 be enough? I plan to start with a five and add a few each year. Do you think the hens will survive him? Impressive roo! :)

I only have 4 leghorns and 2 JG hens with the big guy. He has his favorites, and they are the ones that go bald. I'd think 14 is more than enough.

wynette I saw blues at Ohio national from Oregon, can't recall name who they belonged to. I will need to look at my past PM list to find her. Feathers4fun came to ohio.The giants I ordered have no yellow feet and two are the same size or smaller,as my barred rocks. Giant??? not to me since other two are smaller than my EEs. %&$#&&!! do I want show quality no but I don't want these again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom