Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Here is a pic of my BBS chicks - hatched 4/5/14:
- trying to keep up with 21 chicks is proving to be a bit challenging.
wink.png
Isnt that the truth...!! great looking chicks.. do show us progress as they grow up..

Quote: Informative - good info here.. about the stick..

Tho I have never felt threatened by any of my ( hand raised ) JG's. 10 so far in the last year. no expert yet.. just a wanna be.. --i'm sure you could make one nasty..
I dont let human <nephews visiting > pretend to be a rooster / crowing - or chasing them <other visiting kids> .. I trained my dog to sit and "watch'em" as chicks.. and all live happily together.

At first when i didnt know the mating dance.. or the behavior of one bird trying to keep another away from me.. - i was concerned - nervous and glad no one had spurs yet. -- but that worry was all for not.. just inexperience in knowing what to expect. Now i do ocassionly walk with a ( hockey shape) stick .. usually to let the hens eat in peace - and get there share of the special treats-- or to shoo them gently out of the garden.

? do they like people... ?
I can handle all my free range jg's.. catching the roos sometimes requires a hand treat if they know i'm after them.

If you want a lap dog - chicken.. my small window of experience says .. Buff Orpington.. they will come and sit with me.. even if i dont have a treat.

? I'd be interested to hear from other multi- breed owners .. who is there most sociable/affectionate breed to humans..? --- pm me if that is too off topic.. for this thread...<dono the rulz> thanks.

Its a great day.. Hope your having one too..

I am a grain farmer but bought chickens this year for bug control and for evening cocktail watching. Have varmints and hawks around. Are guineas more self sufficient regarding predators?

Can anyone tell me what sex my 2 Giants are??
They are 6 weeks old now.
The 1 with the darker beak is named 'Tie', the other is 'Suit'. (my son's friend named one of his 'Tuxedo')

Suit Tie

Tie in the front Tie drinking, Suit eating Tie's head is up

Suit Suit Tie

Tie Suit

Tie frathered out first, and is a tad redder than Suit.
They get in each others faces.
And they pick on others; but they do take up for the the reds and wyandotts
when the "mystery bantam" roo's get after them.
When Suit was in the house she/he'd be the first to come to the cage door, and pretty much stay glueded to me.
idunno.gif

If both are dudes where can I find a girl or 2?
(Giles County Virginia 24124)

Last edited:
that sucks!
sad.png

I found a listing on craigslist having girl giants, but when they finally emaild back
they are keeping "the 1 good one of the 3" she got. said "thinks was bad breeding".
they offered to email me when it hatches eggs in the fall.
sad.png

19 of my BBS JG eggs in the hatcher, due to hatch tomorrow, 1/3 of them are pipped. Still have 10 three week olds and 13 one and half week olds in my brooders. Sales have slowed down from Feb and March.

Momhunter you're too far away!!!!
:(

Sorry, I wish you were closer. I've been practicing wing sexing at 1-2 days old. I kept 20 from my first 5 dozen hatch, wing sexed them and leg banded them as to which sex I thought they were. Looking like I only miss guessed 1 cockerel and 1 pullet out of 20, not to bad. They are now 8 weeks old. I also wing sexed some that a friend was buying and was able to get them only one roo and the 5 pullets, they are now 7 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom