Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

How Correct (Or In Correct) is this Roo? He's coming up on 1 yr old and has been through a traumatizing past week in terms of travel, etc. I was just going to fatten him up and butcher him as I didn't think he would be the type or quality i'm looking for, inbeginning a little breeding venture, but second opinions never hurt... thoughts?? He's still quite droopy, but has a wonderful disposition thus far.. very friendly, not flighty what so ever and is very polite to the girls. They just arrived yesterday after essentially spending the past week in a box... He's a little beat up from other Roosters, but his personality will make it hard to butcher him.. That being said, I've already got a replacement lined up who's much higher quality.

Here are the 2 hens who came with him -- I bought them as a Trio, sight unseen. The little one in the back will likely just be kept as a layer.. I know for a fact she's not correct enough to be breeding quality... thoughts on the bigger girl in the front? She's also coming up on 1.

Last edited:
FB, I'd like to see better pics of that male - can you get him to stand still, in a relaxed, but "posed" way? Are the bottoms of his feet yellow? Since he's been through a lot, they may be a dusky yellow, but should not be pink or slate. Same with the females - would love to see better pics of them as well.

Last edited:
FB, I'd like to see better pics of that male - can you get him to stand still, in a relaxed, but "posed" way? Are the bottoms of his feet yellow? Since he's been through a lot, they may be a dusky yellow, but should not be pink or slate. Same with the females - would love to see better pics of them as well.
Hi there!

Yes, all 3 of them have a more dusky yellow foot right now, but I expect that to brighten up. They had a bit of a rough go the past week or so and look pretty poor, but I imagine they will perk up over the next month or so. Here are a few more I snagged after my intial post was made.

Here you can see the base of his foot.

As for the girls I didn't get many photos of them as one was dust bathing the entire time I was outside. Here's the little one who I think I will just keep as a layer.. Unless the woman gave me the wrong hen, she's supposed to be last year's hatch and she's about the same size as my Ameraucana.

Hello, we have 3 JG chicks. We had them at 1day old and are now 5 weeks tomorrow. I'm unsure if they are all pullets as one has a bigger comb than the rest. What does everyone think pullet or Roo?
Thanks,
[/URL]
This is Sybil with the biggest comb and upright tail
This is Alice the Blue JG

And Maggi the one drinking

I will have some Black Giant eggs for sale over the next month or so. These are out of 2 PR and a trio. Have had 100% fertility since march. Eggs will b individulally bubble wrapped and boxed to ship. $30 dozen. Plus $15 shipping.

Jersey (Who I've had for almost a year, from a different breeder)
Wow - I don't recall seeing a JG in this color before. Any clues from the source what they crossed in to achieve that coloring? Something speckled or maybe gold laced Wyandotte?
nice bird you can see the sturdy legs needed for a giant. My one fear of attempting to cross my giants is if offspring had the thin leg/ankles of the cross and the hefty size of a giant they could wind up quickly lame within the first year because our huge birds requires extra thick strong leg supports.

Went back out for a 3rd attempt -- here they are.

Shrek, the Rooster.

Penny

Chicken Little (She's tiny..)

Jersey (Who I've had for almost a year, from a different breeder)
Thanks for getting more pics! Shrek shouldn't be used for breeding; he has split wing (at least it appears to in the pic above). And honestly, none of the blacks are great specimens of the breed. I mean NO offense, and I'm commenting based solely on the pictures; it's tough to know for sure via pics. "Jersey" is of better type, but it appears she has a cushion, and her back's not long enough. (@informative - this is a blue, but she's on the lighter side; blue is an accepted color).

Back
Top Bottom