Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

This is a 2 minute video of my new Buff Orps and White Jerseys at almost 2 weeks old. Any ideas which ones maybe catch your eye as particularly good quality is helpful. About 1/4th of the Jerseys are experiencing pasty butts which is why I am feeding boiled or scrambled eggs daily to try to reduce this problem a bit. The Orpingtons are not getting any pasting.

There are some JG roosters for certain I already see them facing off to joust they are so cute at this age. Yes it is already getting a bit crowded in their 8'x4' brooder but there is a hatch that opens up into a chicken wired tractor with a ramp and 8' roost bar they are a bit young to use it yet. The last bunch loved the tractor at 3-4 weeks of age+

0.jpg
This made me smile. I want to go home and make scrambled eggs for my 4 week old BO's now.

[pasty butts are usually caused by needing more heat (too cold). In larger areas it's easy for the outside of the perimeter to be cooler than the inner central part.]

Anyone who is interested in learning more about the Jersey Giant breed as well as the Standard of Perfection, send me a pm. I can direct you to great help and resources that might be very helpful to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning to the JG group! I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions if anyone has any input. I have adult black sex links and Dominique's. I was wanting to add a large breed bird to my flock. Someone near me has 1 week old chicks. They are BJG hens x Brahma too. I am just looking to add to my backyard flock, not show. How would this cross typically look, act, produce?

Any info is welcome.

Good Morning to the JG group! I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions if anyone has any input. I have adult black sex links and Dominique's. I was wanting to add a large breed bird to my flock. Someone near me has 1 week old chicks. They are BJG hens x Brahma too. I am just looking to add to my backyard flock, not show. How would this cross typically look, act, produce?

Any info is welcome.
I cannot answer your question about the JG x Brahma but wanted to say
welcome-byc.gif

Any info is welcome.

I cannot answer your question about the JG x Brahma but wanted to say :welcome

Thank You very much. I got the 5 chicks he had. The room was gone, the hens were nice and large and he claims one of them hat hem them for him. So, we'll see how they progress.

Any info is welcome.

I cannot answer your question about the JG x Brahma but wanted to say :welcome

Thank You very much. I got the 5 chicks he had. The roo was gone, the hens were nice and large and he claims one of them hatched them them for him. So, we'll see how they progress.

Any info is welcome.
Jerseys were created using Brahmas Langshans and Javas supposedly. The thing to watch out for when mixing significantly different breeds like black sex links with a Jersey is for example you could wind up with a 14 pound bird with thin legs which would result effectively in a lame chicken. There is a reason certain attributes like super thick strong legs are common to a bird capable of going up to 20 pounds. They evolved that way. When we mix we have the potential to create many failed combinations that were "bred out" of the successful parent breed. If you keep that in mind and put our optimism in check when mixing then yes inventing that "baryard mutt mix" bird that nobody ever tried before and having it be amazing is a distinct if very remote possibility.

Back
Top Bottom