Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I only have the one JG. She's always done the Ugly Molt. This year is by far the worse. She's barely covered. I finally set up a heat lamp for her when I caught her shivering. Good news is she's 8 days into this and a few of the feathers are just starting to open up. I'm hoping she'll have some coverage in another week.

My question is, is this a breed specific thing? Are JG's more prone to doing the ugly molt? None of my Buff Orpingtons do the ugly molt. Or maybe it's just unique to each individual bird.

Just curious what other JG owners see when their birds molt.

Now that is one awful molt!

My JG Mariska is 7 and her molt is not that bad like yours but bad for her. She looks like she feels miserable. I think she's always taken it the hardest. Lack of energy, appetite.

Now that is one awful molt!

My JG Mariska is 7 and her molt is not that bad like yours but bad for her. She looks like she feels miserable. I think she's always taken it the hardest. Lack of energy, appetite.

My JG took it awful this year. Wouldn't talk and was hardly eating. And would not eat out of my hands. Which is NOT like her. I actually called my vet who prescribed pain meds for her. I know, it's crazy. I know some people have given baby aspirin to their birds. If you are open to medicating your bird, you should Google that and see what the dosing is. It made a HUGE improvement in my girl. I treated her for 5 days. By the second dose, she was talking and eating and even scratching around. I think it really helped her get over the hump.

I hope these questions won't be minded! I don't have any jersey giants, but I love the breed on paper. I have two pet chickens, a cochin and a serama, but no laying flock. I want sweet birds, and I know these fit the bill! I am trying to decide what I want to compose my flock of in the spring. I have no problem waiting a dickyear to get eggs, so the slow maturation is no trouble... honestly I only want a "layer" flock as a way to have more chooks anyway. They could all never give me a single egg and I'd get over it.

I was originally thinking I would do a variety of breeds, but we have 5ft fences on one side (though these are behind a planter, from which there is another 2 or 3 feet to the ground in a lot of places) and 7ft fences on the other with neighbors on two sides and a large field out back. If I was to let my flock roam, they would need to be heavy enough birds that they're not constantly making the leap over property lines. Are Jerseys super motivated to get over fences? I'm sure some are, but I've read they're not big jumpers, and just wanted to confirm with those that have experience.

I know the roosters are nice too. There is a big feral cat problem in this area, and a hawk that I see out by the field often, so I worry about letting hens roam alone with their heads to the ground. Roosters aren't technically illegal where I live, only if they are a noise problem. Has anyone tried no crow collars on them with success? Are they big crowers that go all day, or just in the morning? Are they not the most talkative roos? I'd love to have a rooster, especially a big majestic giant with a good attitude, but if keeping him cooped a little long or humanely reducing his volume to a cackle isn't enough I don't want to risk it. Especially since he would be crowing way before the ladies start laying bribes for the neighbors!

Thanks much!!

Last edited:
I hope these questions won't be minded! I don't have any jersey giants, but I love the breed on paper. I have two pet chickens, a cochin and a serama, but no laying flock. I want sweet birds, and I know these fit the bill! I am trying to decide what I want to compose my flock of in the spring. I have no problem waiting a dickyear to get eggs, so the slow maturation is no trouble... honestly I only want a "layer" flock as a way to have more chooks anyway. They could all never give me a single egg and I'd get over it.

I was originally thinking I would do a variety of breeds, but we have 5ft fences on one side (though these are behind a planter, from which there is another 2 or 3 feet to the ground in a lot of places) and 7ft fences on the other with neighbors on two sides and a large field out back. If I was to let my flock roam, they would need to be heavy enough birds that they're not constantly making the leap over property lines. Are Jerseys super motivated to get over fences? I'm sure some are, but I've read they're not big jumpers, and just wanted to confirm with those that have experience.

I know the roosters are nice too. There is a big feral cat problem in this area, and a hawk that I see out by the field often, so I worry about letting hens roam alone with their heads to the ground. Roosters aren't technically illegal where I live, only if they are a noise problem. Has anyone tried no crow collars on them with success? Are they big crowers that go all day, or just in the morning? Are they not the most talkative roos? I'd love to have a rooster, especially a big majestic giant with a good attitude, but if keeping him cooped a little long or humanely reducing his volume to a cackle isn't enough I don't want to risk it. Especially since he would be crowing way before the ladies start laying bribes for the neighbors!

Thanks much!!
I have one JG in my small flock. And she's never been motivated to get up over the fence. I have 7' fences around my yard and a 3' fence that prevents her from getting into my veggie gardena and she's never even attempted to get over it. She'll stand right in front of it and bellow until I bring her a treat from the garden.

I have 20. They were hatched on 7/31. I'm amazed at how fast they are growing, and just how sweet they are. Here's a few of them, awkward baby feathers and all. lol

Hi, my name is Lina. I'm from Russia, Siberia. I've found that forum by coincidence. Since I have Jersey Giants I have found a lot of interesting and useful info here.I love Jersey Giants, it is a big, calm breed, which looks very nice, and has enough health to live well in our climate.
This is one which I like best, male, with name Hippopotamus. It is 1 year and 7 months old, and weight is 6 kilograms.

Welcome Lina! We're glad to have you join us. And what a beautiful bird! I do hope that mine turn out even half as lovely.

Maureen (the M in mrchicks)

Back
Top Bottom