Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Had to share a recent pic of Bigfoot, one of my JG roosters. He is checking out his new pen (and eyeing the camera suspiciously)!

I have several pics of one of my two roosters, Jerry. He doesn't like to have his pic taken so some aren't very good. I was wondering what people think of using him for breeding. (my other Roo, Clower, has light brown/yellowish eyes so I don't want to use him for breeding.) excuse the ORANGE feet a friend gave me a bunch of pumpkins for the birds before I took these pics, and it turned ALL of my birds feet and legs orange. they are usually yellow on him and my other 7 JG.
Im not sure if he was my late May 2014 hatch or my late June 2014 hatch. these pics were taken on 12/12 while I was mixing feed and getting there waterers refilled.

When I looked at the first pic with the front end of a truck, I was going to ask what it was, looked like a cool old classic. Lol!
Beautiful bird!

I'm curious if anyone can shed any light on this. I have a 4.5 year old Jersey Giant hen. She just came back into lay after a really rough molt. And her eggs are kind of dried up in the shell. I crack the shell and the egg almost sticks inside the shell for a few seconds before it comes out. Otherwise, they seem fine.

Her shells are a tad on the thin side. They hold up just fine. But when you go to crack them, they crack much more easily than my other hens eggs.

I was curious if anyone else experienced odd eggs from their JG when they came back into lay after a molt?

She's laid three like this and maybe she just needs to iron out some kinks.

Is she getting enough calcium? Do you give her layer feed, or a higher protein feed? They need a lot of protein when growing new feathers. I give mine turkey poult starter (26% protein) with oyster shell on the side.
Something else to consider is her age. You can expect fewer eggs each year, and she may eventually quit laying altogether. She is about 50 in dog years.

Last edited:
Is she getting enough calcium? Do you give her layer feed, or a higher protein feed? They need a lot of protein when growing new feathers. I give mine turkey poult starter (26% protein) with oyster shell on the side.
Something else to consider is her age. You can expect fewer eggs each year, and she may eventually quit laying altogether. She is about 50 in dog years.

She's on layer ration. And a separate bowl has oyster shell, another bowl w/ grit, and when I have them, I'll put out dried/crushed egg shells for them. They get a little treat each day, either some greens, dried meal worms, oatmeal, etc. But just a little because I've had soft shelled eggs from her in the past.

I'm not too concerned about the shell. I was more concerned about why the egg seemed more dried up and tacky inside than other eggs. She didn't lay the last two days so I expect one from her today and I'll crack that one open to see what's up.

I have several pics of one of my two roosters, Jerry. He doesn't like to have his pic taken so some aren't very good. I was wondering what people think of using him for breeding. (my other Roo, Clower, has light brown/yellowish eyes so I don't want to use him for breeding.) excuse the ORANGE feet a friend gave me a bunch of pumpkins for the birds before I took these pics, and it turned ALL of my birds feet and legs orange. they are usually yellow on him and my other 7 JG.
Im not sure if he was my late May 2014 hatch or my late June 2014 hatch. these pics were taken on 12/12 while I was mixing feed and getting there waterers refilled.

THAT is a good-looking bird.

MrsB

Here's my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth
First, keep in mind he is still very young for a Jersey. He has a lot of filling out and growth left to do.
But over all I really like him. He has a nice long, level back and has the rectangular body shape you really want. I would like a little deeper breast on him when he is done growing, but that still has time to grow.

His wing set is good on all the right sided views, but it looks a little low on the left sided views, which is strange (because he doesn't look uneven on the back view). SO it might just be where he happened to have them at that particular point in time. A shot of his wing spread out would be helpful to be sure he's not trying to have a split wing.

A top view would be nice too, because you really want him to be as wide at the front of his back as he is at the tail. Cant tell that from the pics. With his nice long back, if he is shaped that way you will have a really nice bird.

Back
Top Bottom