Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
Quote:
It is hard to offer any realistic matings until you share a little more information. How old are the 5 SQ's, if they are young, SQ may be a little premature. Are they siblings?

The following matings are assumed that the 5 and the 7 are all siblings amongst their own groups, but that possibility is lessened with hatchery eggs if the hatchery is very large, they usually have many inbred, but they oftern carry more lines of genes within a breed. Of course the number of males and females within each group may be differnt but the matings will still have same stats and percentages if a single male from one group mates with a female of the other group. I am just trying to find a way to identify the groups.

First breeding:

5 males (f1 or g1 parent generation, AB) + 7 females (f1 or g1 parent generation, CD) = f2's males and females = 4 possibilities (AC, AD, BC, BD) 50% will be males and 50% will be females

f2's (AC, AD, BC, BD) can be back bred to f1 to their opposite sex parent ---------- f2 + f1 = Back Breeding

Second breeding:

Exactly like First breeding , but using:

5 females + 7 males = f2 males and females

Back breeding is the only way you are going to increase the strength of a particular trait and not inbreed, You will end up with 8 posibilities with something as simple as a f1 male (AB) + f2 female (AC, AD, BC, BD) = 2AA, 4AB, 2 AC, 2AD, 2BA, 2BB, 2BC, 2BD's. The reverse works very similar for f1 female + f2 male.

If any First breeing f2's breed with any of the second breeding f2's or any other later hatches of f2's, you are inbreeding.

You would come out better if you want another generation, breed f1's to f3's, this will absolutely magnify the best or the worst in the offspring, because they will be such high % of the original f1's. You still end up with 8 possibilities, but different percentages.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my first Blue JG at about 7 1/2 Weeks. I keep seeing about "willow" legs. Since "Willow" is actually "pretty dang green" in my part of the country,
big_smile.png
I'm wondering what color it is in "actual color" terms. Dang these new names for colors drive me nuts, like "teal". . .are they talking a green wing or blue wing teal? A male teal or a female teal? . . . I'm digressing, sorry! I go off on tangents sometimes . . .okay . . . a lot.
hmm.png

DSC00007.jpg

Thanks! She was "manually hatched", but came out of it just fine, thankfully. I find wine reviews frustrating as chicken colors too. They'll describe a given wine with something like "This wine is warm to the palate, a smoky backend, with hints of chocolate and burnt toast" or some such uppity nonsense. I go buy the bottle . . .and it tastes like "Wine . . .with a hint of 'wine' flavor, followed by a back-end that tastes like 'wine'. No smoky, chocolaty, burnt toast flavor anywhere. Go figure!

Quote:
Blues have pretty blue gray feet and legs that have translucent yellow that is obvious as an undertone or overtone, that is what gives the willow (greenish) color. If you look on the toes or bottoms of the feet you should definitely see yellow, even if the foot is black as on the blacks. If you do not see the yellow you will see white or pink. The white and pink are disqualifiers.

I have a handsome black JG 6 month cockerel that needs a home... If you pay shipping, you can have him... He is from Maria Hall's stock...

I am trying to re-home this guy for the second time. The previous people that took him got complaints from the neighbors because of the crowing and they are not allowed to have any roos.

woot.gif
YAY!!! Seminolewind has reported to me on the test hatch I sent her .... 7 fertile eggs out of 11. ALL 7 of them hatched! That is a 100% hatch rate; wonderful! However, I hope the fertility is better now. I can hardly wait to see the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom