Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
Quote:
I asked a similar question of an expert and was told that it does not matter where the black came from, it is still black period. It has the same "capabilities," of a black from a black x black mating.

Hi Everyone,

I got 3 dozen eggs in the mail, 2 weeks ago. I knew as soon as I candled them that they had a very rough trip. Everyone of the eggs' air sacs were irregular shape, almost like the perimeter of a figure 8. Has anyone experienced this sort of occurrence? I scrambled 6 eggs that were clear on day 10. I could see chicks moving inside on a few and most were about the same development according to the dark areas and veining. I have noticed that there is a strong eggy-odor, not rotten smell, when I open the incubator to add more water. This is the first batch that I have had the strong odor this strong. I need some input on your experiences with mail eggs. Want to share?

Wish I could help ya. I rarely candle, and if I do it is usually just on day 18. The smell, I can't help there either. I don't have a very good sense of smell most of the time, due to past medical issues. Sorry. I am thinking if it is not smelling rotten or bad, maybe it is due to "slow cooking the egg?" Like an infertile maybe??? My broodies just finished up, and there were a few infertile eggs. They were not rotten at all, even after broody mama sat for 22 days on them! I was surprised because my Silkie sat on eggs this past winter and 2 of them exploded when I picked them up. THAT, I could smell! FOR HOURS!!!!
sickbyc.gif

I gotta tell ya what I did.
big_smile.png

I had 3 broodies. The first 2 due the same day, and the 3rd was a couple days later. Broody #1 hatched 4 Delawares. #2 hatched 2 Delawares (and later, a mutt). #3 hatched one but it disappeared (saw the shell, no chick). I put all 6 Delaware chicks with broody #1, and put the remaining eggs with #2 to finish. She hatched one mutt. Well, since I got these Jersey Giant chicks, I thought I would try giving them to broody #2 and #3. I did this at 4AM, in the dark. So far, so good. Here they are...

Broody # 1 (Black Cochin) with 6 Delawares.
50076_3broodies_and_chicks_014.jpg

Broody # 2 (Cochin) with 6 Jersey Giants and 1 mutt.
50076_5-22-10_007.jpg

Broody # 3 (BCMarans) with 5 Jersey Giants.
50076_5-22-10_004.jpg

Last edited:
Very cute Kathy. I have a blue jersey giant chick running in with my silkies. I had a a very young pullet go broody but none of the eggs were fertile so I stuck a few giants under her. Somehow 1 got broke during incubation but she hatched the other one. Hes 5 weeks old now and almost as big as his mamma lol

Those pics are just too cute! I had a silkie hatch 3 polish for me and 2 are still here and even tho it's been 2 years, the polish still jump into the pen and they still know eachother.

Do JG's make good broodys? I have one right now, but I've always been afraid of giving her eggs.

DAFox (Dale-Ann) recently had a broody Giant. I can not remember the outcome though. She is out of town right now, but will be coming over to pick up chicks I am hatching for her next weekend. When she comes over I will ask her about her experience.

Quote:
We just candled at 7 days and I think we had handling issues with the Post Office too, and candling seems to reenforce our initial suspicions. We have 13 eggs from Bobbi P. had 14 but one was broken when we opened the package . . .not a sign of good handling, because they were VERY well packaged by Bobbi. About 5 of them are clearly developing, a few were "iffy" and few were clear as a grocery store egg. No strong eggy odor though, at least not yet.

Back
Top Bottom