Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
I have to make a correction to my original post, after talking to my sweetie this morning: It was the last eggs we got from Bobbi Porto. We got these from Maria Hall, sorry about that! As for the post office, we have to keep in mind that it isn't necessarily some mean-spirited person that can damage the packages. Actually the odds are much more likely that the folks handling the individual boxes probably treated them gently, and the damage comes from the mechanized aspects in the shipping process, or even wind shear or turbulence while being flown to various destinations.

It still 'hurts' a bit when we don't get the eggs in good shape, but hey . . . sometimes "stuff" happens', as they say. Probably best to just grin and bear it, and be thankful that any hatch. Essentially, our single hatchling from the last round cost us nearly 200 bucks, heheh. We now expect her to be able to lay at least 5 eggs a day to cover her cost when she starts laying!
big_smile.png

Just recandled my eggs, and there does appear to be air sac issues . . .though I'm not experienced enough at 'reading the candle' to declare that with any real authority, heheh. Not sure how I would go about filing a claim on that with the Post office, and I don't blame the seller for that, since they were packaged rather well. I was told that buying shipped eggs is always a crap-shoot, and buying hatched chicks is a much more reliable way to get Chicks.

Anyone have any luck with a damage claim with the post office when this happens? I know when I used to ship oil, I had a LOT of problems with clients complaining about damage . . .though that was with UPS, not the Postal Service. One day I had an epiphany:

"If I worked at UPS, the LAST thing I'd want is for 5 gallons of oil to start leaking in my work area"

So . . .I printed up some HUGE labels that said "Caution: Food Oil handle with care" . . . . The problems pretty much stopped immediately.

In my experience, which used to be quite a bit, the Postal Service does a much better job than UPS of handling packages carefully in general. I've never had a problem with Fed Ex, but I haven't had much experience with them really. Is there an egg shipping thread? I suppose I cold look myself.

Quote:
I don't think it's right that the USPS gets away with this. And I don't think machinery flings boxes. And I am not going to grin and bear it. Has anyone watched the baggage people load the suitcases onto the plane? I myself would not grin and bear losing 200 bucks. Last time I shipped, I wrote "live chick embryos, please don't kill us" Fragile seems to mean kickball. Those murderers should know that they are not breaking a plate, they are destroying an embryo. I say get harsh with package marking, and not just write fragile, or eggs on the package. Refer to the contents as live chick embryos, not eggs. To "most" people an egg is an egg. A live embryo is something to make someone think harder about what they do.

14.gif

ANNOUNCEMENT !
I am in over my head!
he.gif
hit.gif

I have too many chicks, and must sell alot of them. First of all, I have too many breeds. I have decided to downsize and focus only on 3 breeds. I am keeping a layers coop of miscellaneous girls (for colorful egg cartons), as well. I am going to sell off most everything, except my Delawares and Jersey Giants. I will also keep my Silkied Ameraucanas and Icelandics projects. Currently I have these breeds: Heritage Delawares, Heritage Buckeyes, Heritage Jersey Giants, Blue Orpingtons, Black Copper Marans, Blue Marans, Wheaton Marans, Cuckoo Marans, true Ameraucanas (black and blue), Lavender Orpington projects, Silkies, Rhode Island Reds, rosecomb Rhode Island Reds .....

I have been so stupid, thinking I could handle all of these. I absolutely love every minute of it. I even enjoy cleaning coops and chore time! BUT, I just don't have time. I work outside 2 - 4 hours a day, and then go to work 3PM - 11PM. I don't sleep well, and rarely get to sleep before 4AM. I am working on exhaustion. If only I didn't have to have a job, I would be fine!
gig.gif
This is just a hobby, not a career. I love it, I really do, but must stop. Breeder pens will be closed. I can't do it.
hit.gif

I have ALOT of chicks of various ages and breeds for sale, (note: Sportsman is FULL and due this weekend and next), if any of you are interested. I put an ad on craigslist, and already have 8 inquiries. I hope to be able to move these out this week. PM me for more details, if you are interested ....

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Kathyinmo- Awww, I'm sorry to hear your feeling overwhelmed,
hugs.gif
I sure know how you feel. It is so easy to just get too many projects going and then have 'life' get in the way. I'm glad to hear you are keeping your Jersey project going tho. I am currently working on sending you an order for eggs, I have kids coming to stay with me this summer and I want to corrolate them being here with the eggs hatching.

Here are the pics of my chicks that hatched over this weekend, Bobbi Porto stock. ANY opinions as to color would be much appreciated.

First two of six-
32504_b_porto_chicks_x6_006.jpg

Next 2-
32504_b_porto_chicks_x6_004.jpg

Last 2-
32504_b_porto_chicks_x6_002.jpg

And just in case you were unsure and wanted to be a bit more confused- here they all are from the top-
tongue.png

32504_b_porto_chicks_x6_010.jpg

I had 8 in lockdown, but 6 made it. I was wanting blues and splash, but I dont think I got any splash, but I think I got a few blues.

What do you all think as to colors?

Thanks!

Quote:
looks to me like 4 blues, maybe 2 blacks from the top but all look blue from profiles

Thanks for your input, but it left me wondering... What do you look for when you say 'from profiles'? Do blues have certain facial color/characteristics that I can look for? I was wondering if its a beak color thing, or a wing feather difference....

I was thinking the same as you though hunterland- 4 blues and 2 blacks, but I am still uncertain about one of them being blue or just a lighter shade of black.

Quote:
looks to me like 4 blues, maybe 2 blacks from the top but all look blue from profiles

Thanks for your input, but it left me wondering... What do you look for when you say 'from profiles'? Do blues have certain facial color/characteristics that I can look for? I was wondering if its a beak color thing, or a wing feather difference....

I was thinking the same as you though hunterland- 4 blues and 2 blacks, but I am still uncertain about one of them being blue or just a lighter shade of black.

I have noticed that my blacks have the darker legs; where as my blues have a bluer shade of dark legs sometimes even the willow color. My blacks and blue have more almost black combs in the beginning that eventually fade to red. And their beaks may or may not have full black except the very tip or not. Their down also is more mixed throughout if they are blue, and my blacks are more defined yellow or black areas.

Last edited:
Thanks, Hunterland. With my batch prior to this one, I thought I had all blue but they got darker and karker. With the blues I hatched this week, I see the blues that look black get lighter. But I will look them over and see if I can see what you're saying.

Back
Top Bottom