Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
Quote:
It is not a specific disqualifier, itfits into the general disqualifiers, page 32: "specimen lacking in breed characteristics"; the JG is a yellow skin bird, heavy meat producing. I could be wrong, but that is significant to me.

It seems I read somewhere about the correlation of the color of the bottom of the feet and the skin color. I could be wrong, but it seems familiar.

I agree, that would be an important characteristic of the breed.

Quote:
Sandhills are good for the yellow skin that is why I have kept some of his, though, the birds look a lot leaner/more narrow than I am looking for. I want the genetic dilutions.

The 2009 Sandhills that I had were actually of good size, but they were so off in other ways. A couple had yellow going clear up the legs. The splash had totally yellow legs. I sorta wish I had kept one of the blue hens, as she looked pretty good. Oh well .....

I am anxious to see what I get out of this hatch. I am wanting some darker blues, as I enjoy the lacing on them the most.

Quote:
I just got rid of a pretty blue laced rooster; he had the white on the bottom of his feet. I have others that don't have that DQ. I have 5 roosters that I am evaluating for now, because my two main roosters have DQ's red hackles or white skin on bottom of feet. The problem is the Blue with white feet has a perfect comb.

The elusive perfect comb! Awwww, hate it when it appears on the wrong head! My black roo has a wonderful comb, but he is not as large as my blue roo. I kept him, only for the comb!
gig.gif
I am just hoping he will continue to grow. He will be a year old in Sept.

Quote:
YOu could do like me and seperate the roos from the hens for the summer, since I don't want any more chicks after this hatch and the 2 dozen showgirl eggs I have coming + the 2 dozen eggs I have been putting in the bator over the past two weeks.

I have been selecting only the largest eggs as I want the larger eggers.

My, "ultimate plan," is to have all my girls in the layer's coop, and all the roos in a, "bachelor's pad." I am closing up my 9 breeder pens. However, if I want to breed I will have them available. First, though, I have to get these grow-outs grown, so I know who I am gonna keep (of each breed).

Back
Top Bottom