Jersey Giants vs Cornish

becky8813

Chirping
Sep 21, 2018
North Central Florida
hi. We will be getting about 25-30 meat birds in the spring and pasturing them in chicken tractors on 4 acres of pasture. My question is, what is y’alls opinion on Jersey Giants vs Cornish ( not Cornish X). Which provides the best carcass and flavor? We will be starting sustainable breeding with them and am looking at all possibilities. We already have a laying flock as well. Thanks in advance. Becky

The egg laying of jersey gants is not too bad at 150-200 eggs per year, averaging between 2-4 eggs per week. Eggs are very large, light to medium brown in color. Most people who raise them say that they build frame the first and flesh out the second year, so if you want a quickly maturing meat bird – this bird is not for you.

unfortunately I am not too familiar with Cornish chickens
maybe someone else can help:)

Cornish X are the best meat chicken by far. They do have their quirks, and if you are unable or unwilling to accommodate these quirks, you are better off with another variety. They grow very fast. To do that they need a high powered feed, one formulated for broilers. Because they grow so fast, they eat a lot and they poop a LOT. People unfamiliar with them are often unprepared for this. They do not tolerate heat. I am by no means an expert, but I had very good success with my Cornish X. People that do not are often trying to make the Cornish X into something they are not. If you need or want more information, contact me.

Cornish X are the best meat chicken by far. They do have their quirks, and if you are unable or unwilling to accommodate these quirks, you are better off with another variety. They grow very fast. To do that they need a high powered feed, one formulated for broilers. Because they grow so fast, they eat a lot and they poop a LOT. People unfamiliar with them are often unprepared for this. They do not tolerate heat. I am by no means an expert, but I had very good success with my Cornish X. People that do not are often trying to make the Cornish X into something they are not. If you need or want more information, contact me.
I understand that Cornish X are the fastest growing and such. I don’t, however want the cross. I want either the White or Dark Cornish since we want to be able to breed them. Do those do well in heat? If not, are there any other options, since I am in North Florida, and we do have heat.

I understand that Cornish X are the fastest growing and such. I don’t, however want the cross. I want either the White or Dark Cornish since we want to be able to breed them. Do those do well in heat? If not, are there any other options, since I am in North Florida, and we do have heat.
I can't imagine that they wouldn't do as well as any other chicken would.

There are disadvantages to both, from what I've read on here. There's a huge Cornish thread in this section, read that. They say that Cornish are a bit tricky to breed, I think something about not a ton of eggs and maybe fertility/breeding issues? Certainly can be done, but not as simple as chucking a ton of eggs in like I can do with my Rocks. And the Jersey Giants take two years to finish at their final weight, muscle-wise.

You may want to look into other breeds and/or crosses, maybe even JG over Cornish hens. Hopefully people that know more from experience will chime in here too.

We raise Jersey Giants and are very happy with them. We keep the hens and eat most of the roos, keeping a couple of the best each year for replacement roos. We dress them out at between 20 and 24 weeks with good meat results. I haven't weight the meat per bird but it is a good amount. Two birds more than feed my three teenage boys, who are giants themselves, my daughter, wife, and I. The drum sticks are enormous, about as big as our turkeys, way bigger than any other chicken we've had.

The BJG I bought as pullets (from someone who bought them at a hatchery), were not very big... a little bigger than a hatchery BR. So if you have a breeder nearby you would get more of what you're looking for.
Cornish is hard to find, especially the white

The BJG I bought as pullets (from someone who bought them at a hatchery), were not very big... a little bigger than a hatchery BR. So if you have a breeder nearby you would get more of what you're looking for.
Cornish is hard to find, especially the white

I agree, a breeder is the way to go. We got ours from Maria at Maria's Jersey Giants. Real nice lady to work with. I believe she lives in the South. We live out West. She shipped a baker's dozen day-olds. They all arrived safely and grew to enormous size. After my first purchase from someone else, I would highly recommend buying from her.

I agree, a breeder is the way to go. We got ours from Maria at Maria's Jersey Giants. Real nice lady to work with. I believe she lives in the South. We live out West. She shipped a baker's dozen day-olds. They all arrived safely and grew to enormous size. After my first purchase from someone else, I would highly recommend buying from her.
I was thinking if I got some more it would be from her, she is in S Indiana
http://www.mariasjerseygiants.com/

Back
Top Bottom