Jersey Wooly Question

blueoval1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Raleigh N.C.
I have contacted a lady who has a Jersey wooly kits for sale and she is asking $50 each. I am not sure if she shows yet and I have no problem paying that for a show rabbit but I was wondering if it was a little much for a regular run of the mill Jersey Wooly.

Thanks

feathersgalore

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Central Ohio
I breed and show Jersey Woolies. Unless they had something extra (amazing pedigree or good show record) I think the price is a little high. If there are few woolies in the area that might also bring up the price.

RabbitMage

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
If you go to a rabbit show you should be able to find a pet Jersey from free to $20. If you're looking for an well-typed show prospect, that price might not be out of line but I'd rather see you meet them at a show and have him evaluated by the judge first if you aren't familiar with the breed standard.

Bunnylady

POOF Goes the Pooka
11 Years
Nov 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Yes, that is a bit pricey. I have bought retired show Woolies for less than that. Twenty years ago, $50 was about average, but you can probably pick up a showable youngster for about $30 these days.

The North Carolina Rabbit Breeders Association is having their state convention March 20 - 21, at the Greensboro Coliseum. It will be a double show on Saturday, a double show on Sunday, and a double specialty show for Woolies on Sunday as well. With that many legs available, I guarantee you there will be lots of Woolies there. Go to ARBA's website, click on "shows," then click on NC for further info!

Southernbelle

Gone Broody
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Virginia
Unless it's a spectacular show rabbit, that seems a bit high to me. I did pay $50-$60 per rabbit for young Holland Lops, but the breeder showed them on a National level, so I knew I was getting pedigreed, registered SQ stock.

On the other hand, pet stores sell mutt rabbits for $30-$40 each, so I figured paying a little extra for a pedigreed animal was worth it.

blueoval1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Raleigh N.C.
Thats what I thought and I do not think she shows but I am not positive, I will see if she will go down on the price.

Jersey Woolys are hard to find around here.

Bunnylady thanks for the info on the show, I will plan to go. Do you think there will be any for sale? I am looking for a good representation for the breed but not neccessarily show quality,

Thanks everyone.

Farming Frenzy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Kerikeri New Zealand
Pure bred jersey woolies are sold $35 at petshops but I know a breeder who sell purebred netherland dwarves and jersey woolies for $15-$20. She had a trio for $35. I may be getting 2 of her jerseys in september-

Top Bottom