Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by CanuckBock, Jul 30, 2014.

1. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

So this week Rick and I celebrate 33 years...truly it don't seem that long...must be having fun eh? [​IMG]

I do have a smugness though as I remember in our first years of marriage, that Rick said we would not last 7 years!!

Well by golly, we are more than FOUR times those seven years. It brings to mind, the story of Jacob (who my sheep breed is named after) heel catcher (funny to have the Heelers, eh?), and one who is known in regards to Jacob's Ladder. My point here is not to dwell on historical tales but make note that Jacob worked in sets of seven years. He wanted to marry Laban's daughter and was deceived into marrying the older one after seven years of work, but SEVEN years was ... "but a few days, for the love he had for her," so he worked another SEVEN years for the hand of Rachel, the woman with whom he fell instantly in love with at first sight. Jacob was paid for his work by his father in law, with all the speckled, brown, and spotted goats and sheep which is where the name of my sheep breed came from.

[​IMG]
    Jacob Sheep

For anyone interested on how I address the questions on gender linked...here is a link to that...most interesting and thought provoking. I am still soaking and digesting this all up! KazJaps, Marvin and Henk (the one who made the chicken calculator) all have insightful comments...a good read.

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113625&page=1

So 33 years has flown by. I really don't feel we are older...but in truth, I do feel like we love each other more and more every day. I know, it sounds gitchy and silly but it's real.

We went out last night to Chinese Smorg...Rick has been working wicked hours again and not had a day off in weeks now. So he had a short job to do, came home, had a nap, did some snow removal, I did up the night chores to tuck everyone in and off we went. Rick stopped to wash the truck (yes indeed, it is unseasonably warm right now) and I called the kid to touch base with him as we have not spoken in a bit. He was at home with his pets playing his guitars. He said to me, "You guys are like the old couples that don't happen very much!" and I suppose that is true enough.

It is very easy to love someone when things are rosy, when love is new and things are just fine and dandy.

It is when things go astray, that stuff gets ugly...you can turn on each other and lay blame that this predicament is the other's fault...it is easy to love when times are GOOD...but as with all time in life living, the good has to go bad so you may appreciate the good times when they happen again. Easy to love youthful persons, in the prime of our lives, strong and healthy, productive and in our peak of perfection...probably explains the wedding vows of "in sickness and in health" eh! [​IMG]

I love many of the C&W song lyrics and one of my favs is Alan's Living on Love...here it is...

Livin' on Love
    Alan Eugene Jackson:

3 people like this.
  2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Oh your just amazing. I completely get this part
    "So 33 years has flown by. I really don't feel we are older...but in truth, I do feel like we love each other more and more every day. I know, it sounds gitchy and silly but it's real"
    Insert 12 years not 33...
    We didn't see any point in wasting much on our wedding either just some food for our family and a tiny tiny church...

3. hennible

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    I adore anyone that quilts. I have always thought I would love to do a quilt...but always something more pressing.

I can totally relate to pen arrangements. I am getting more and more excited watching the new birds growing up. I hate that because I want to fall head over heels in love with some ("YES! These ones turned out SO nice!") but have to refrain. I have a friend that purposely ignores the good ones she sees (outta the corner of her eye) because she says she just has a real good l00k at them, and that's the one in the whole flock that dies...lol!

I see some real progress on white Whites in the bantam Chants this time...no more leaky red to ruin the self-white. I know, I know...White birds eh...I am more a colour pattern gal but hey, one success at a time, and if I can relish White as the first in the race to get varieties like self-Buff and the Parti's going...I'm gonna grab it. They are widdle as bantams and they are White and I like... [​IMG]

Chickening is fun...always striving, always reaching...fun fun and challenging! I'll let the little wins carry me. If you had to have it all perfect in the first year...set up to be miserable.

I hope I did not miss addressing any other posts...dang multi quote button has been elusive today, eh! [​IMG]

I agree...if it is gonna make it...why the hoopla...I mean after doing canned music for years...and seeing all the energies and cash spent--the big show off is kinda how some weddings look, well to me at least. People spending tens of thousands to see it on the rocks in six months. Love that old saying that some marriages don't last as long as the first roll of dental floss...eep!

I get if one of the people WANTS the big wedding, I mean don't deny yourself that if that is your dream, but I always figured, if you wrote down the dollar amount your basic wedding cost ... like ten grand if you went cheepy cheapy... and you opted to take that dough and sink it in a home...what a great start for a new couple! Money worries, indeed that can ruin the bliss real quick and the bickering between you starts up and the miserableness. Silly how a wedding can be the undoing to something that shoulda been good to go.

I know when Rick and I started...there was never enough money for all the things we wanted to get done. We did as best we were able but it is in your later years you hope you get fat and sassy...but then you begin wondering, when do you retire and have to live on what you made before you quit working.

To have enough money to be comfortable. It takes the pressure off you at work, with the spouse, with the kids, with a whole buncha stuff...to be wealthy enough to have the basics and some wiggle room...to be silly about it now and again. Ah....peace, joy, happiness within reach! [​IMG]

Forget who said it but "no man should be more than four times richer than any other." Now wouldn't that make things alot more tolerable and doable for mankind, eh?

Excellent...thanks for that!

I always found the outcome on tests to be what matters. How you come out the other side on the bad things...easy to love being comfy, things all running along smoothly. As we slide into more difficult economic times...this is the time to be tested for all you are worth...you got the grits to get thru it to the other side TOGETHER without blaming each other for the downs?

Tara

1 person likes this.
  5. hennible

Boo yah. :D

6. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Awww.

7. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

I've often wondered if people see with the same eyes as I see...you know what I mean? Do people have to be told how something done is done correctly or can they see it automatically? What are reasoning powers that people possess?

[​IMG]

Comes to mind some of the road work that Rick does. Been a grader operator a looong time...not horses pulling a grader times, but long enough.

When he does a job, he does it to the level that makes him happy. He keeps within budget, for sure but when it boils right down to it, he does work to make himself satisfied...otherwise, why bother?

Sometimes when I am lucky, I get to accompany him out to wherever he works. Has been some fantastical places...some very extreme locations. Out in wilds of the West, eh! I like that...always have. It makes me understand when he talks about work, what he is on to about it.

So this September in particular, I got to go on one of those trips. He laughs because we are not roughing it...we have a lunch, coffees, tunes to listen too...but he takes me out if he has to move the grader and does not want to tow the pickup. Or if it is a weekend, I don't have to work and he needs to go check the road conditions, then I wanna come for the ride, the fun of it. He use to (thankfully does not now!) commute three hours one way to get up to the Blackstone...yeh, six hour commute round trip before you can even begin to count the hours he does even to roll a rock or move some snow. I HATED that...did I mention that...HATED... [​IMG]

Long long days and sometimes he would average working 350/400 hour months. If'n you do the math...eight hours a day and weekends off is 160 hours in a month. That many hours is more than double...

I was ever so happy when he finally quit working so long but then again, some days he is up at 2 a.m. and not back till 7 p.m. Not liking that too much but we all do what we do because we like to eat, have a shirt on our backs and a roof over our heads...still don't have to love it, eh!

This is his commute now...can't say I hate the views eh!

[​IMG]
    Small herd of Wild Horses
    Anyway, over the years taking a liking to his company and going out with him on the job sites...I have built up a bit of an understanding over what makes a good gravel road and what don't. I drive school bus, so we are out and about in all sorts of weather and road conditions...I guess I do see some more aspects than many in regards to a good country road and an awful one.

Rick took a goat trail (and I mean two vehicles could NOT pass each other on the road period) and turned it into this!

[​IMG]
    September 28, 2014

I think it is mighty fine...the road is crowned so moisture runs off, still needs traffic to pack in the gravel (just put down the day prior and why we were running the road, to see how it all looked the full length), but what road is not a work in progress...there are wide shoulders, the ditches are down doing what they are suppose to do, culverts installed, the tree line is back so you may see oncoming vehicles...to me the road just looks right. Do others see that, I dunno?

I guess it is about the same as asking...is common sense so common now. Who really knows eh!

Long and short of it all is that I do admire what Rick does to keep his family going. It is nice to have employment that has some sort of meaning...not so much digging a hole so someone else can fill it in. But a job with a purpose you can see to appreciate...or can one? [​IMG]

Fixins photos for her fans...

[​IMG]
    April 2014

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tired puppers...happy puppers...good springing sprung times! [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

8. hennible

People see with different eyes.... Common sense for me may not be common sense to you... You know what I mean?

9. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Thought I would post this here...I have done the article on adult cushion combs but this here to follow shows day old cushion combs...so a new throw on my old topic from just about five years ago... [​IMG]

Also, I entered Medusa (AND Red girla Fixins!) in the cushion comb contest...

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/923862/comb-contest-2014-cushion#post_14631973

and a white bantam Wy male in the rose comb contest.

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/923864/comb-contest-2014-rose/40#

Never knew these "poultry comb contests" existed until Chicken Canoe mentioned his Carnation comb entry... [​IMG]

So here goes...fuzz butt cushion combs...the bestest of kinds...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The official Canuck Bock...prepare to be inundated with Cushion Combs...bwa ha ha... [​IMG]

Wanna learn about Cushion Combs...prepare to indulge yerself... [​IMG]

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Tales from Rat World Page...

Article 1 -
    Combs & Wattles in the Chantecler Chicken
    By Tara Lee Higgins ~ Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm
    April 9th, 2010
    Published May 2010, Feather Fancier – Canada’s National Monthly Bird Publication since 1945​

Lotsa pictures of adult chickens and info on Cushion Combs! [​IMG]

Fer the fun of it...here's a mini-tutorial with fuzz butts to demonstrate...lotsa fuzzer butts...

Tis morning...time to wake up, brush the pearlies and COMB yer hair...yeh... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Old Chants with Cushion Combs...note the bristle hairs on the sides of the baby combs...and some even express the transverse groove from day one!

[​IMG]
    Dr. W.C. Carefoot, M.Sc., Ph.D.; Creative Poultry Breeding:

This is what the Transverse Groove looks like in adults...

[​IMG]

See the line across the top 1/3 of her comb...same with this female below...these are TRANSVERSE GROOVES and part of the genetics expressed when Pea Comb is combined with Rose Comb to make the Cushion Comb (also known as Strawberry Comb or Walnut Comb). [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild type in chickens is...

Single Comb

[​IMG]
    Booted Bantams
    All the other comb types are mutations from wild type...

Pea Comb

[​IMG]
    Brahmas

PLUS

Rose Comb

[​IMG]
    Wyandottes

EQUALS

Cushion Comb

[​IMG]

Chanteclers

[​IMG]

One of the reasons Chanteclers thrive so well here in perpetual winter wonderland at the [​IMG] Great White North [​IMG] ... the Cushion Combs are minimal in size so less opportunity to get frozen like say a big single comb may...
    [​IMG]

Cushion Comb...there's really nothing thar to get frost bitten! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No "OUCH, my head HURTS!"

[​IMG]

You may confuse a Rose Comb with a Cushion Comb...I've seen sanctioned judges put up Rose Combed Chanteclers which IS a disqualification (wrong comb type)! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wyandottes

Some clues are the top of the Cushion Comb is square not pointed like the Rose Comb and those Bristle hairs do help one. ​

[​IMG]

If all else fails and you still do NOT know how to identify a Cushion Comb...a sure fire [​IMG] way to know is...

[​IMG]

A CUSHION Comb is the one that other chickens like to sit on... [​IMG]

So that be that on Cushion Combs, eh... [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

10. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Great article, Tara. I hatched some barnyard mixes (SLW Roo x EE hens) and came up with some really nice cushion combs. Nothing to get frozen in the winter or snagged and bleeding from briars in the summer. I also had two white leghorn hen x SLW Roo eggs in the mix, resulting in a Roo and a pullet. The Roo got picked up by a fox or coyote the end of summer, but the pullet is doing well. I adore her. Bigger in size than the leghorns and she lays a very light tan egg almost daily. Her comb, though, is pretty funky. I will try to get a pic of it. What would you call and straight comb/rose comb mix??

Here they are when they were a bit older, but before the cockerel got taken. The pullet's comb has increased in size. I will try to get a current pic tonight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are when they were quite a bit younger. If I had to guess, I would say around 10 weeks, maybe?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by