Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Pics
Heel low:
Is there cliff notes for genetics? Its information overload when i start reading about it....i think the chick on the left (silver) is male??? The one on the right (gold) would be female???

I am old school Bama--my suggestion is for anyone really interested in a kewl version of practical poultry genetics, that one invest (what, around fifty bucks I figure?) in Dr. Carefoot's book...all of 200 real to goodness honest pages of knowledge easy to understand with a sense of the most practical for those into birds. He teaches poultry genetics that hold value to real persons like us...in a manner that is both concise, logical and with a flair of humour to keep it fun.
smile.png

- Creative Poultry Breeding, By W.C. Carefoot, MSc, PhD. Copyright 1985, Published by Veronica Mayhew in 2005.

If you go to my website there is a e-mail link to Veronica so you can purchase the book from her. I believe it is in its second printing and she is a fabulous woman outta England...totally awesome regal lady.

CanuckBock...do you ever get any rest? You have so much going on all the time....I guess you have to be really organized to get everything done? Really enjoy reading your thread and the time you put into it.

Well not this weekend...my father (that has visited us only once in 20 years--is here visiting this weekend) so we are doing two days of entraining and catching up on family time. My pen clearing out is on hold while we socialize. He is getting on so this could be the last time I see him in person. Gotta prioritize everything as to what is MOST important, eh?

Glad you like the thread and thank you for that!
big_smile.png

Hey, Dude, I have been doing genetics self study. I found this site helpful.

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html

Thank you for posting this link Wisher!
celebrate.gif

Ha.... Every time my little boy sees me on here I get "Ducky? Ducky? Where ducky??? Quack quack!!"

Yes, I am always plugging the FTDucks. I see we have an addict in the makings...poor kid!
tongue.png

The first hit is free...agh! Then there is NO saving them...
gig.gif

Silver(left) and gold always make a hard lesson easier!

Seriously, this is amazing what you do, and trying to teach it to us too! (I totally agree with @BamaDude, this is information overload! And thanks Wisher1000 too for the link.)

I think I'd have to be very well rested to follow it though.

Speaking of genetics and such I found something for my coop I just had to share, I think you all especially will appreciate the subliminal message it will send my chickens. We are on the road (work, not play) and spent Labor Day in the mountains above Alamogordo NM., at an RV park. The owners were having a garage sale and gave this to me for my coop build, being "too weird" for them to sell, lol! (It was made out there by a local artist)

Thanks Tara , you are awesome!

I suspect you're using full advantage of clearer sky's today(according to Accuweather at least) to finish tucking everything up for the (early?) winter.

Good winter lull time (if the cold and dumps of snow are more reasonable this winter!) reading and seeing the way genetics affects our chooks and whatnots. The stuff will be here to be read and reviewed as per our own schedules. I have more to post but need time to have a clear head too...pitching poop is a good time to have an "outta body experience" and gives one time to think about what next to post and how to keep it simple (me stupid, eh?). LOL

Dump of noxious Coast snow but I guess that is what happens when whatever is in charge of these matters decides we don't really need to have FALL time before WINTER time! Lots of power pops here that day and lots of damage in the cities. We lost some branches but not too heavily hurt thank heavens!

Got the blankets I made all off and the snow sorta stowed away from the plants it was meant to protect.

The squash never made it...dismal but no matter...and the Scarlet Runners pretty much are toast too.

I expect with higher more seasonal temperatures, the carrots, beets, beans and chard that were protected will recover...but that is that for me this year. No more covering no matter what the temps will be.

It does have to end sometime and I am done and we can have the rest as DINNER! Potatoes, onions...yes, there will be more harvesting before the ground freezes to its traditional 15 feet deep...bwa ha ha...try getting potatoes outta that ground...ha ha ha.

Tucking time will take me time. I will keep at this until I cannot clear out pens any more and settle myself into thinking, "Yeh, it is what it is and it ends now!" because it freezes up solid. I may win and have all cleared out...I did get the Coop fer Sure and the Pheasant Cabin cleared out and restocked for winter bedding...not nearly as well along on the Duck Barn but I did fill another tote (that makes three thus far I think if my mental tally is right) but it is far too soft in regards to the tractor making any head way to haul that one away to the area we are composting in.

Fall agenda as per every year...we have over four tons of oats and wheat in totes to haul home for me to off load in five gallon pails into the feed room (every time we do this we discuss getting an auger and then I do it with the pails and we don't talk about it until the next year...hee hee)...ten to twelve tons of mixed pelleted rations to take off pallets and hump into the feed room too, 250 square oat straw bales have been ordered and will also need to be hand balmed on and off...I think that one may be a bit of a wrangler mess since we do currently have a 28 Chev one ton chassis in the way of a clear right of way with the one 22 foot trailer...so Rick may have to bring me pallets of bales I off load instead of parking the trailer right beside the Hay & Straw barn. Oh well...extra slice of Booberry pie for me, eh!
tongue.png

All the lawn ornaments can be hauled into storage in the greenhouse now and I did manage to get all the veg garden "ornaments" moved to the entrance way for easier removal. Some of the stuff is completed, some awaits the regular close up for winter time regiment.

I still wanna do a photo shoot of the ducks...their winter putting on in the fall plumage is always so nice...maybe...maybe this year, eh? Take time out to click pics (smell the roses, capture their perfume to enjoy always!) of them.

Sometimes I see "fall" more as the fall down go boom time...hee hee...you end up wishing for winter...

th.gif

"Please...please make it stop...winter please...please!"

(Paper mâché) chicken (egg) embryo to show my chickens what their job is

gig.gif

(Or maybe how they'll end up if they don't give me fertile eggs???)

I thought maybe something like a cameo type carving...but paper mache makes WAY better sense! Awesome and gruesome all at the same time...
lau.gif

Oops. Gave it away too soon, oh well.
jumpy.gif

I do that often with Christmas presents--you find the PERFECT present say two weeks too soon and break down a week later by giving it to the person BEFORE they go out and buy what it is...cause they needed it yesterday. Ha ha ha...then you need to go out again and get another suppose to be Christmas present...agh!
roll.png

Now I see it - duh! I thought the stuff in the middle was tissue paper to fill it up or protect from breaking - hey I'm old and I don't see so well. Now that I know, I can clearly see the chick , looks like full term. NO wonder he gave it to you, it really IS weird.

Not something I would hang on a wall behind the front door so when you open it, the person calling on you "SEES it!"
sickbyc.gif

Yeah, I've got my SFH eggs in the incubator day 1. Looking good. I'm trying a new way of doing it. To raise hatchability and lower mortality and deformities, I'm soaking the eggs in 1 tsp Ascorbic Acid (Vit C) in 1 liter of water for 2 min and then air drying before putting in the incubator. Then on day 16 I'm going to take the top off and let eggs cool down for 6 hrs. One time only. The dorkings will come on the 25th. Yes, busy. BUT my last hatch of White Plymouth Rocks was a bust. Only two were viable and hatched me some Barred not White.
lau.gif

But the mother lode came through for me. A local buddy from BYC has really good White Rocks. So I bought 5 five mo old birds. One Blosi pullet and three JWIP pullets and a cockerel. I'm out of orbit on the buy. So beautiful, fluffy and blindingly white. BIG And that's why I'm happy dancing today.
gig.gif

Yah...yah...yah! Woot woot! How wonderful for you. If there was never any payment in trying and failing...but to finally succeed and do so well...now that rocks, eh! Appreciate the success and use that to get you thru any future low times...not like we need those...so revel in it BABY!
D.gif

That's why people are born with two feet - so they can dance
wee.gif

Yes, dancing is good...good so long as there are no witnesses! Some of us (mainly MOI) should never expose others to our dancings!
yippiechickie.gif
"Oh my eyes!"

Tara, just a thought on that cockerel with the mismatched feet - do you think he might be a chimera (two embryos that fused to produce one organism)? It looks to me like his feathers might be showing two different color patterns too; I have no idea whether that is normal in Booted bantams or not. A few members here have had a chimera pop up in their flocks. Apparently, in chicken chimeras, it isn't unusual for the cells of each embryo to be mostly found only on one side; there have even be a couple where a bird appeared to be male on one side, and female on the other.

Possible? (Or have you covered this, and I missed it?)
idunno.gif

Very much so that he could be a chimera!
woot.gif

Maybe not like the above fantasy forms, eh?

But this cat and others posted to the Net are not so outta bounds!

This comes off The Coop and is that well known half female, half male chicken - split down the middle

NO, I have not covered this yet and will need to! I will have to pursue this further because it only recently crossed my mind (in an off moment too...the light bulb goes on <<BING a DING dong!>>...chimera...need to take more pics of the half/half MDF male and investigate this further--probably ask Dr. Roy if this is an expression of some half/half thingmabob!).

I was showing my Dad Mr. half/half and muttered something about, "Maybe this roo was from a double yolked egg?" Now I don't EVER prefer to have poultry to have DOUBLE yolks (I know people that are thrilled with this but the breeder replicator part of me winces at this concept!). When you have hens making eggs with two "chicks" encased in one egg...for me it is trouble. Something is terribly wrong since more often than not (thankfully), the egg will not go full term and produce some monster bird. I hatched a four legged chicken (totally sci-fi) when I first had some barnyard mutts...inbred most likely and in terrible need of new blood but a chook was a chook to a kid and we were just plain happy to have chickens period. The four legged wonderment lived all of two days...the one set of feets (so dragon like I thought and was THRILLED that we hatched a DRAGON!) was tucked up on its chest.

So here we go...time to tell a tale that happened on Friday... An interesting one and I have photos...the small camera as in the pocket during the afternoon so I got the clicks too!
cool.png

Rick just got a copy of this song for our driving tunes...obviously he thinks its very OK to be tough...to be tough and yet female...he don't worry about me too much...well OK, maybe a little because I tend to charge in without much recount for the repercussions that having an attitude might mean...consequences to my life & limbs! Nobody MESSES with me in regards to what I consider is mine to keep safe and sound....

Have I set the stage well for the recounting of Friday's adventures...read on and see what I mean! NO FEAR!
lol.png

Tough Guys by REO Speedwagon

Spoken:

So it has been SIXTEEN years we are working on here...yeh, 16 years and never EVER have I come upon one of these. Now Rick figured sooner or later, with the area filling up more and more (more people always = Trouble...always!) all the time...yeh, it was gonna happen sooner more now than later...sigh....

Off to the left of the sorta not so concerned about it Jacobs...

So by the sheep pen...there is this THING...Foamy had let out one bark when I was at the turkey pens but had just I chalked that ONE bark up to maybe she was barking because that dang squirrel was dropping pine cones on her head again to aggravate her (tis the season to bug the dogs and pack away the cones!).... Needless to say even the sheep did not seem "ALL" that off in their behaviours either. This all chalks up to not necessarily being a GOOD thing either! No warning...has to make you wonder!

Yeh, that is the distance, less than ten feet INSIDE first of the perimeter fences right by the bale of alfalfa for the sheeps.

Calling this one Gerry Bruino (as no idea on gender but probably this year's cub and kicked out on its own by Momma bear).

Recall I worked at the Conservation Office on the West Coast...bazzillions of bear calls about how they "double bagged" their garbage and still the bear got into it! Agh!

He started walking towards me, licking his lips and I thought...OK...my pitch fork is one step away...I will grab that...armed and a most dangerous woman ready and able to defend her sheep...no messing with a shepherdess and her sheeps, eh!
rant.gif

At first I thought, it had no good fear of humans...I started lobbing 2x4 shorts that we use under the corral fence legs to keep them up outta the dirt...

Sorta sitting there pondering life...or looking at the sheep thinking if they might make a good lunch.

It was overcast and only one thirty in the afternoon...not like night when the creatures are locked up and tucked away safe like. DAYtime when things are suppose to be out...no birds though, it was thankfully much too damp from the snow melting going on.

See the wood chunk...that one made contact to the tete of the bear. He or she (it?) looked up at the current tree it was under and momentarily thought about going UP it...

"Uh...NO...NO WAY...you ain't sitting up in no tree of ours and hanging around so when I have to go run school bus you come down and help yourself to a sheep or wander down to the goats and munch & crunch them up...MOVE IT BRIUNO GERRY!"

Furry black bear butt turns and begins to amble along...with much encouragement by me...

Gerry does look at scaling the inner perimeter fence but thankfully (YES...triple fenced and this one does its JOB!) decides that it is better to head the other way which is OUT of our patch...

I believe it scaled the first two fences by climbing the trees on the perimeter of the property...like what is more natural than a bear to hit the trees, up and into the property simply going over the first fences because they were not fences when he was IN the trees...

So Gerry turns and goes up the tree beside the outer fences... "Good...good...go there!"

But he ends up sitting IN the tree...what I do not realize is the stupid neighbours...are in a pickup truck a few feet down the road and blocking the bear's safe exit completely way from our place...yeh, the same neighbours that are feeding this bear abundant (can you say 50 pound bags of it at once!) bird seed from a HUGE bird feeder...duh...bears LUV grain...bird seed is well, uh...GRAINS to a young bear out and about learning how to scavenge on its own! Agh...

So I notice the vehicle and yell at them to "GET LOST ALREADY!"

About then the bear WOOFS at me...not good...nope, not a good thing. He is warning me that he is already up a tree but its only next choice is not to flee but ATTACK! I instantly back right off and yell again ("GIVE THE $#@% BEAR SOME ROOM!") and finally they back the truck off...then the bear high tails it outta there...Poor thing...having experienced some weird smelly animals (goats, llama and sheeps) along with a way weird pyscho wood plank hucking nasty human with no good sense of fear for a black bear!
hmm.png

All reported to Fish and Game and we have spoken to a Conservation Officer in the area (I use to work typing out all these reports when I lived on Northern Van Isle)...we hope against hope that the idiots that have started this poor cub on the road of no return will stop their greenhorn ways but I guess in a way...it is OK too...having greenhorns to the wilderness ways is good too...sigh...hate having to admit that!

Last night, from 10 p.m. sporadically right up to 01:30 in the morning...fireworks. About four sets of shooting them off (grow up already!)...while it certainly disturbs OUR sleep here (we not only live here on weekends...we work here on weekends too!--Rick was off at 5 a.m. to work...agh!) it also upsets alot of our birds who cannot fly off when loud noises and flashes of strange lights go on. Whatever...I do wish they would do this type of thing IN the CITY during their work week and see how favourable that is received but well, whatever....grumble/grumble/grumble...

The BONUS part is that Gerry will not be around with all the fireworks...for sure I would expect these past few days have been trying on the bear and with the antics last night...should have high tailed it outta the area...or at least one would hope so!

On a side note...Rick said I should pick up some fireworks...fire crackers to deter the bear and did you know you cannot even buy fire crackers no mores. I did not--you can buy fireworks that blast off into the air to keep the neighbourhood awake and disturbed but you cannot buy those traditional Chinese New Year crackers? What gives? Oh yeh and on the topic of Bear Bangers...the moronic store in the village had no "PENS" to discharge those kind of noise makers...agh...but I do have two/three canisters of bear spray (stray dog deterrent actually since most bears prefer a little blast of pepper with their human meat parts lunches!) along with a small air horn! So I guess I can go get those if there is a next time...probably will be "a next time" I guess--oh well...
wink.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Just sold a dozen brahma eggs for $15. If i can sell $35 more worth, i will definately buy that book. Thanks

I bought the Dr. Carefoot book a few years ago (2008 or was it 2010 or 2009??) when Veronica still had the first edition for sale (hard cover with dust jacket - I have #234 of 300 copies) and jogging my memory, it was $35 or so...??? I truly forget because I purchased about $300 worth of publications plus shipping to me in Canada. Ask me if I was a bit nervous sending $ over to the UK...you betcha! How you ever gonna recoup that amount if it went POOF...not a huge amount but something I would not just stand and burn three bills and think nothing of it!
hmm.png

If you want to check Veronica out...she had an article done up on herself at the same time my Bantam Duck article got put on the same UK site.

http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/poultry-antiques-from-veronica-mayhew

They have a different e-mail addy than I have used...mine has a "1" in the address...

[email protected]

She is truly one of those unique persons that they busted the mould on when she was cast...AWESOME woman!
celebrate.gif

She tries her very best to make sure you are buying books suited for YOU and if she feels you could pick it up at another place, closer to home for less money than she sells them at, she will advise you of that! She gave me a sorta rough time (not really!) with one of my requests...I wanted the book "Art of Faking" (terrible recipes in that book...poisonous for both fowl and human...nasty and horrible concept of cheating that IS!) and she wrote back simply asking why did I want "such" a publication. I told her I wanted to know what I was up against when showing and then, she happily sold me the book. She also queried me on a coupla duck books and said they were not really that good <<laugh!>> but I insisted that I wanted them because there were so few books on some of these breeds...wanted a collection of sorts so I knew what was out and available for others to learn from...so I could post information to elaborate in areas where these publications were weak so people could be very well rounded about knowing their fowls. The better we humans are in regards to knowing what the birds need, the better the lives the birds will enjoy!
D.gif

I do not like "competing" with publications when it comes to learning. I think there is a fine line between giving a few quotes from a book and then inciting others to "buy their own copy" and have that always there as a source and good resource for them to go reference. I am often asked for one on one assistance which is sorta OK but if there is a book already in existence...I would highly prefer to have them ask me and me say, answer is on page such and such. Once they have read that page or pages, then we can go further IF they still have issues. I have many friends where we debate things by saying..."page 352...but I personally have found this point on that page to be weak so I did this and such & such" ... we elaborate from there.

I would LUV for all of us here to be on the same page so to speak...have access to both Sigrid's books (her colour recipe one and the extremes one), along with dear Carefoot and even Fred Jeffrey's in the publication Bantam Chickens (not so much just on bantam birds...he has some excellent material for just sitting back and reading for simple enjoyment on the insights of our hobby).

I think I have been pretty good on my website about listing good books to have ownership of on my website...for example, Dr. Sherraw is awesome in regards to Call Ducks and East Indies if you are interested in those waterfowl. Holderread is a great foundation person for colour genetics on Call ducks (most ducks in fact!).

On heritage turkeys...the ALBC's book is stellar and totally rocks...small book but packed solid with nifty turkey tidbits for us heritage breeders and keepers. I still refer to it so often that both Holderread's book and the turk a lurk one...I have worn the covers right off...hee hee...a well dog eared and READ bunch of books.
tongue.png

Sorry to ramble on but I adore books...info and reference books sorta on the "how to" topics for keeping critters. While I never blindly BELIEVE what is in black & white...I test this constantly...but I most certainly appreciate the fact that we are given foot prints to walk on, showing us the pathways already taken and a starting point on our adventures. Kinda like standing on the shoulders of those that came before us...and not having to RE-invent the wheel! LOL

Love that quote...:
Wonder if the early snow has the bear confused? Still hungry and yet the weather say's it's passed bear bed time? Hopefully you're right and the fireworks show scared him off.

Being this bear has never experienced winter...snow or no snow--I lay full blame on us humans for its behaviours. The only here part time neighbours have this humungous platform feeder for the wild birds (yes, yes - nice to supply feed for the wild ones!) but it was more like "bear baiting!" Then to have them chase the bear from the feeder and then jump in their pickup and pursuit it...causing the poor Bruino to run off into our property looking for some place to be safe... Grrrr....not so much winter like weather but massive confusion for the poor bear. I can only imagine what was going thru its mind having found a place of plenty, then being run off and ending up in an area with other critters the bear was not sure about (food source or danger?). The bear gave up one of its "lives" indeed for that day! Way too many stressors for such a young beast.

The problem is us, not the wild things and the unfortunate part is if the bear becomes too comfy around us humans, what we smell like and what our habitats are about...the bear will pay with its life for just taking the low road on offer, the easier meals.

he.gif

At night if we get visitors in regards to the Sheep Dip Inn barn...well they are greeted by this more formidable obstacle...THE barn door!

Both bear and cougar proof!

Do I want the bear hanging around here (especially in the DAY time)...no thanks. I do hope the fireworks gave Gerry more than enough reason to find some quieter place to lard up and get ready for winter. I still can't believe I welcomed all that racket...for once in my life!
gig.gif

So on Sunday, made the easy peasy cake for the company and us...

Cream soaked CAKE!
ya.gif

Fruit Cocktail Cake

1 cup Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 EGG
1 - 14 oz / 398 ml tin of Fruit Cocktail (including juice)
Brown Sugar for sprinkling on top / Butter or lard for smearing on pan and then flouring / Cream for dousing on warm cake

Mix ingredients. Butter/grease and flour a pan.

Pour mixture into pan, drop pan gently a few times to remove bubbles so cake does not fall during cooking. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.

Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes (stick wooden toothpick in, comes out clean, it is cooked--careful not to burn it).

Alexander brought fruit, so I added that too and some more flour which ended up with it needing to cook another 20 minutes more (more moisture to lose and it was sure darker than my normal cake--but was still delish!).

Serve with cream if you like (we all need our CALCIUM!). Please feel free to BURP!
tongue.png

I think my Father had a pretty good time here over the weekend. I know that we blew his mind--we are positive on that one.
wink.png

Looking in on the Bird Yard at some of the Call Ducks out and about on the lawns

We had eight turkeys hatch over the weekend so of course, they bonded (imprinted) on him too!

Dad saying "good-bye" to his flock of turkey birds....

He got to try his very first turkey egg and said it was nice and fresh (like the chicken eggs we get too)--he said that it was no different that the chook eggs other than it was bigger!
lol.png

Fixins is still insisting that she has to inspect the baby birds...
So now I can go back to clearing out pens and topping up the sand before putting in new oat straw. Suppose to be rather nice weather -- in the 24C/ 75F ranges.

Veg garden is perking back up...

Rick's cherry tomatoes are going red and such...so a few more weeks perhaps?

Took some more pics of the half/half MDF Booted Bantam young male yesterday evening after the company went on home.

As we know, the left side is not dark...some non dark colour on the end of his toes on the one side

I have been pondering what BunnyLady has suggested which could explain how his feet and legs do not match in colourations. Being a chimera perhaps!

He is very much NOT split in half in regards to colourations past on his toes and legs (left side feathers are expressing less white mottling but his foot on that side is the LIGHT side)

Even HE was curious and had a l00k see at another MDF (with light skin, not dark) male's chest.

"MY chest feathers are sorta like YOUR chest feathers" he says to another male MDF (a coupla weeks younger than he is)

Keep in mind for this colouration (mille fleur)...all sorts of variations on how white or not white the feathers are in MDF's. Sorta what makes this variety SO challenging and often you can show young birds BEFORE they get too white (over the top) to more properly represent the colour pattern as per the SOP directions. Almost like every bird is different as to what speed they go too white at. Lots of variances and some do have birds in the MDF pattern that stay relatively balanced in colour versus white mottlings (spangled feather tips).

Now males tend to be whiter based on identical genetics to females and as the birds age, they also get whiter or lighter too (basically the pigment cells get tired of producing pigment so they slow down on the amounts that are produced AND recall that NO pigment = white)!
wink.png

I would expect he is not a chimera in the sense he is not really half and half in skin (or feather) colours...

His skin colour is pinkish like...certainly not dark skinned on either side of the breast bone
Course I cannot vouch for the colourations he might have INSIDE him as I do hope he continues to live a nice long life for a chook.
fl.gif

He is not particularly "split in half" down the middle...

Poor boy is so desensitized to handling...just sits there and takes all the fuss and muss.

MDF bird that is fifth from left is pretty much all WHITE chested at this young age!!!

In these "group" (just grabbed a few Booted Bantams for comparison-light skin or dark, white or MDF feathered, various ages and of different genders...) photos, the half/half male kinda just looks like the rest of them (second from right) other than he was from the very first incubated batch of Booteds I produced this year. He is one of the oldest and therefore has bigger wattles and comb and size.

He does have a coloured center part in his chest feathers with whiter feathers matching on both sides
BUT I would have expected ONE side dark and ONE side light (corresponding to the foot colours) to make him more like a proper chimera. Now this still does not rule out that he could have been two embryos still--one giving him the one dark foot but at least I can now know (for the official records--thanks to pics focussed on this part!) that he is not split evenly in colour either in skin or feathers--he is half/half but not perfectly.

In Sigrid's Extremes book...page 109 & 110, she discusses the locations of things on a chicken..."Where is it?" and "Sonic Hedgehog signalling..."

What I am thinking is in the case of this male MDF with the two different coloured feets and such...he may have had some WOW happen during the development of his "limb buds" (Saunders & Gasseling, 1968) that somehow left one side of the "limbs" making dark and the other making light skin.

May need to investigate the term "morphogene signalling" and see if signals to determine pigmentation could be messed up? Don't seem to be hurting him none though, so am glad for that...past he gets mauled more often by me for "picture" taking as he is getting older.

To go back to the chimera and living beings that are half female and half male...in chickens, birds ... chicken embryo cells (unlike in mammals) KNOW they are male or female BEFORE hormones are produced to tell the cells to be male or female. This is called "cell autonomous sex identity" or CASI and happens during day 5 to 6 of incubation.

Basically bird cells are never neutral like human cells can be (before ovaries or testes are made). A bird cell is male or female without the need for hormones to activate this state.

Sigrid gives us statistics of 1 in 100,000 hatches that a gynandromorph occurs. Split down the length axis with one side male and the opposite side female.

Chicken CELLS retain their gender so you can transplant a female bird's cell and it will remain female on an otherwise MALE bird.

We have to take the male and female characteristics and know, some are not influenced by hormones but some that they call "secondary sex characteristics" are influenced by hormones and only show up when the bird is old enough to produce hormones from either ovaries (estrogen) or the testes (testosterone). I am still trying myself to get a handle on this information and hope I am explaining this properly!
big_smile.png

Sigrid's Genetics of the Chicken Extremes, page 137:

Sigrid says all this info is new as of 2010, so there could be even more insights I am not aware of at this time.

All purdy neat and once again, shows us those simple bird brains are alot more intricate than we might have imagined!
clap.gif

I so enjoy this hobby because it can be as intricate and complex as you want to dig into it...like layers on an onion and if you dig too deep and open up too much...you begin to weep...

"Oh my eyes...it burns!"
hit.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Glad your weekend with your Dad went well. He had to have enjoyed himself with all the beauty of your place and surroundings. That's a good size black bear or he looks big in the pictures. Hope he has been scared away for good. I'm with you about its behavior....humans are many times to blame. I find bird genetics or any kind of genetics interesting, but a bit confusing. I'll leave that end to the experts. Thanks for the wonderful update :)

Just wanted to say "hello". I've been home sick for two days reading BYC to get ideas for our new place. We're moving from Inland SoCal to near Albuquerque, New Mexico - from a suburban lot to almost an acre near the Rio Grande. Been looking at different threads and learning all that I can.

Thanks for the entertaining thread and all the practical advice. (Yes, I read the whole thing all at one go.) It's made the past few sick days much more enjoyable!

Chicken CELLS retain their gender so you can transplant a female bird's cell and it will remain female on an otherwise MALE bird.

We have to take the male and female characteristics and know, some are not influenced by hormones but some that they call "secondary sex characteristics" are influenced by hormones and only show up when the bird is old enough to produce hormones from either ovaries (estrogen) or the testes (testosterone). I am still trying myself to get a handle on this information and hope I am explaining this properly!
big_smile.png

Sigrid's Genetics of the Chicken Extremes, page 137:

Sigrid says all this info is new as of 2010, so there could be even more insights I am not aware of at this time.

All purdy neat and once again, shows us those simple bird brains are alot more intricate than we might have imagined!
clap.gif

I so enjoy this hobby because it can be as intricate and complex as you want to dig into it...like layers on an onion and if you dig too deep and open up too much...you begin to weep...

"Oh my eyes...it burns!"
hit.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Humans are the same for gender changes and hormones. There is not much of a difference between boys and girls until the hormones kick in and then lots of gender characteristics appear.

Not a ton of plants in the Man Porch now and getting ready to clear it out for winter time too...yes, tiz that time ain't it. Been a wonderful summer though!

Rick decided to make a special detour on how we got home from Calgary...that man always has something up his sleeve...such a bad man...BAD MAN!
wink.png

He took me thru Cochrane on the way home...such a nice quaint Western themed town...

What Rick never told me is about the bronze statue in town...yeh...bad man! He even stopped and said, "You better go out and take some proper photos!" So without further prodding, of course, I did.
lol.png

The Creamery Association in Cochrane is responsible for this bronze...but why chooks and not more "cow" related...who knows and do you figure I care...not one bit...the chickens were fab!
D.gif

On the way outta town, just one MORE bird bird related photo to make me smile...
big_smile.png

Really! A sports bar and restaurant that is called DUCKS ON THE ROOF...Oh my...too much for me to bare...FTD!
gig.gif

The farmers are going great guns trying to get things harvested up...clouds of grain dust are everywheres!

Even here the leaves are changing and getting ready to fall off (ignoring that early snow but that sure did start this up).

Yard is getting messy!
big_smile.png

Got the ruminants out and about cleaning up the grasses...they love eating the fallen leaves too...brats!

One of the oldest of sheeps is having troubles getting around...sweet Looker is getting quite slow to get up and last to come in. I am thinking we will lose her soon but to old age and whilst that sucks...such is life I suppose. When would I want her to go...well now is best. Better than in the middle of a frigid winter and always wonder if it was the cold that made her meet her end too early. For now though she manages and she gets to go out and eat up lush grasses.

Dad's turkeys are doing well...very lively and growing like bad weeds!

Cleared out two pens in the Duck Barn.

Rick dumping one of the bins of used bird bedding for composting.

No moss under Rick's feets...he has tilled it up into the pasture and expects it to decompose further over winter time...

New pasture in the makings. Give us more of that GREAT DIRT!
cool.png

Fixins always puts a bit of play into the work day..."Toss that toy!"

Transferred the older turks and chooks to grow out.

Always laugh because there is always one clown that has to be right up front eyeing me up..."HELLO! What are you bringing us now to eat?"

Sep 16 - Chanteclers in Standard and Bantam sizes

Ton of hatches still on the go here...big one on seventeenth for the chook a looks!
yippiechickie.gif

September 17, 2014
Top; left to right - Bantam Chanteclers, Standard Chants in Buff, Red (few more skunkins too) and Whites, then the Partridge Chants
Bottom; l to r - White Bantam Chants, Brahmas and them Booted Bantams

Sep 20 - Parti Chants in one tray and then three miscoloured whites and Booteds in White and MDF

Sep 21 - More Chants and two Booteds (far left; one White and one MDF) & one Partridge Brahma center bottom right tray

And now it is down to one tray in Buster the Bator and I am looking forward to shutting it down--artificially hatching that is. Always a few natural hatches in the winter to enjoy and make spring not seem so far off.
lol.png

Sep 20, 2014 - pair on right have minute white dots on chests coming in!

Super excited...the Booted Bantams I "thought" were not going to be mottled...are now turning mottled. Dark dark pigments in them and was starting to figure..."Yeh, not going to mottle up and be proper Mille de Fleurs but maybe just Quail patterned." Such dark skin and I was disappointed they lacked the mottling to make spangles...no matter...kept them and they are growing out.

Male on Jul 29 - dark and no white dots (past the white DOT on my pants--oh them chickens making their MARKS!)
tongue.png

Pair on the far right - August 28...no dots!

Never EVER had them take this long to get the white dotty dots (July 14 hatch ones - a pair) but I love it.

Sep 20, 2014

Goes without saying...them birds always have something NEW to teach you if you bother to pay attention. I have heard others say that some of their MDFs take a looong time to get white mottles but not had that happen here ourselves...now we have! So kewl...
big_smile.png

Only issue now is that I was on a hunch that dark skin being expressed was being suppressed by MOTTLING so now have to RE-think all this dark skin versus light skin things. Not so much that mottling suppresses it like some figure. ACK! With each new discovery, you have to go back and REvamp the thought process to explain the dark skin (could be Fm, could be Id...oh heck my mind is muddled fuddled now...big time!). Got all winter to dice it about though and that puzzle will be fun to figure or not figure out.

So what has Rick been up to this past weekend...tons as always.
wee.gif

Sep 19th, he begins more work on the back walls for the parking building.

More framing for the Parking Building...

...with help from Fixins of course!​

At first she plays up the TOUGH dog routine...gravel is good enough for a dog to lay on..."Take that sucky dog bed and forget that!"...but as the day drags along...Rick thought he put the bed out for naught but....

The "retired" Princess Warrior dog forgets her toughness after some toy tosses from Rick and submits to the comforts of a dog bed..."Ah a cushy dog bed to rest upon!"

Now that's a WALL!
big_smile.png

I got to do a very small project...I got to rake up some rock Rick brought in to make a better ramp for hauling birch firewood out past one of the C-cans.

Inspector Fixins approved!

Then Rick changed focus on Sunday and put a new starter in the one ton 4x4 1989 Chev...he is working on her to ensure she is all mechanically skookum for when we begin hauling home the provisions of grain, bagged rations and oat straw bedding. Need everything in tip top running order...the Boo Truck is about to be asked to work and work she shall.

Helper Dog Fixins in attendance...

We know it is fall time because we get the visitations by the amphibians...frogs, toads...

Kinda risky biz that floating about on the gator with sucker lips like those on some of the older & bigger pond fish!
roll.png

Frisky Fix still strutting her stuff and making herself tired and needing a rest...

She'll accept the luxury of a bed...but only if...

Only if she can beat the snot outta it once in a while! Dog slobber goo it up a bit too.
tongue.png

"Yes, yes...you are the DOG! TOUGH dog...yeh..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lularat

Glad your weekend with your Dad went well. He had to have enjoyed himself with all the beauty of your place and surroundings. That's a good size black bear or he looks big in the pictures. Hope he has been scared away for good. I'm with you about its behavior....humans are many times to blame. I find bird genetics or any kind of genetics interesting, but a bit confusing. I'll leave that end to the experts. Thanks for the wonderful update :)

As with most visitors...I have to realize we need to take breaks on the Man Porch and have coffees and pauses to absorb. Overwhelming and I expect most often, the last hour and a half is a melded blur...only about 15 minutes to absorb and then we can often zone out. LOL

Not sure how big the bear is past Gerry could have made short work of a sheep or goat, me included. I am sure its "visit" here was more than UNpleasant and I have gone back to not seeing hide nor hair of any bears...thankfully! I will have to go retrieve some of the blocks of wood I showered Gerry with...jest in case there is another visitation that needs pummelling to change its mind about hanging around. No welcome mat out for bears!
hmm.png

Genetics is only scary because others have pumped it up to be something difficult. It is simply not and when you take a step back and take your time, it all falls into place and is very useful to have in your "toolbox" to access. Sure makes my life much easier and I adore the topic.

Just wanted to say "hello". I've been home sick for two days reading BYC to get ideas for our new place. We're moving from Inland SoCal to near Albuquerque, New Mexico - from a suburban lot to almost an acre near the Rio Grande. Been looking at different threads and learning all that I can.

Thanks for the entertaining thread and all the practical advice. (Yes, I read the whole thing all at one go.) It's made the past few sick days much more enjoyable!

Glad to be entertaining! Hope your move is very UNeventful and you enjoy your new "digs."
celebrate.gif

Humans are the same for gender changes and hormones. There is not much of a difference between boys and girls until the hormones kick in and then lots of gender characteristics appear.

Gives us a good place to start...knowing we may apply this to chickens also!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Last edited:
Heel low:

Had the last of the ducks hatch...two Grey Dutch Hookbills.

Dutch Hookbills in Grey, more Chants, a MDF Booted, Bantam project Chant and Partridge Brahma
The Crested Ducks started up laying again but I forfeit ALL temptation to set any more eggs...of any kinds...in Buster the Bator. Now is time to let things grow up and see what this year has brung us!

Still a few more turkeys and chickens to hatch out but I am happy to see the hatching season for Buster come to a close.

Not sure how much longer we will enjoy the "room temperature" weather, so I harvested up all the beans I could muster yesterday eve.

Cut up and ready for cooking!

Harvested a few more potato plants and finally...got one or two worthy of calling a potato! LOL

Yee haw...a garden dirt dressed potato!
droolin.gif

Took in some onions, beets...carROOTs...from the veg garden. Still got lots in there to harvest up yet but fun getting a grab tray of items.

Made up a beef stew (our own onions, carrots, potatoes and green beans) this morn...

A beef stew for the crock pot to slave over cooking.

Love that...will come in this evening to the smell of a good ol' stew a stewing...like having our own person staff making supper!

I also put in the mixture required so the other time saver...the BREAD machine...would have a loaf of nice bread made too.

celebrate.gif

Fall evening...nothing finer than a dreamy delish beef stew and hot bread to slather up with butter...yeh...will be good EATS tonight!

And fall it is indeed...

Leaves sure are falling off the Dolgo and Birch by the fish pond...

Rick had put out a piece of wood with seeds on it atop the firepit ring - for the wild songbirds during the silly snow dump...he has now turned it over and dumped the seed off...ready up for winter so getting about to put things away.

The one Jacob ewe is still hanging tough.
smile.png

So long as she wants to eat and drink...I'll set it up so she may. Made sure she got a nice bunch of alfalfa leaves along with her hay ration for the day.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Back
Top Bottom