Jesus Plant?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
The plant ID app called it "Jesus Plant" and noted toxicity to mammals. But can chickens eat it?

(You might be a chicken keeper if you sort your weeds when pulling them out of the garden).

scaled_38d015ec-196b-4cf0-b72a-44ab1667d53d8521687328515285126.jpg

I probably wouldn’t go on purposely feeding it to my chickens. If they’re free ranging chickens they will often avoid the plants and weeds that can hurt them. Unless they’re starving, most of the time they won’t eat them.

Last edited:
If that's the same as Lady's Thumb, aka, Smartweed, it's ok. In fact, my chickens love it.

I don't have any pictures of it; eventually it gets pink sprays of flowers that look like tiny beads.

My chickens free range on one acre. There are probably thousands of types of weeds in the grassier areas, and where there are clusters of trees... I have never had one come down with any toxicity poisoning or anything like that. As the above poster said, I believe chickens know what’s good for them and what’s not, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. We do however keep them separated from the large soybean field next to us to keep them from eating raw soybeans which can be poisonous.

I know that ranging chickens will avoid what isn't good for them, but I'm pulling weeds and throwing them into the pen so I wanted to ID this one.

If that's the same as Lady's Thumb, aka, Smartweed, it's ok. In fact, my chickens love it.

I don't have any pictures of it; eventually it gets pink sprays of flowers that look like tiny beads.

Not smartweed. Smartweed is much smaller. This is almost knee high and has leaves 2-3" long.

I believe the Plant ID app made a mistake. That's no Calladium variety ("heart of Jesus"), nor a Crown of Thorns ("Christ Thorn") or the related "Devil's Walking Stick" (sometimes called Angelica tree).

I have a black thumb, but I'm good at bumping into bad plants. Will try to load the pic into my plant app, see if I can't get a second opinion. Those ARE distinct purplish chevrons mid leaf, right???

I know that ranging chickens will avoid what isn't good for them, but I'm pulling weeds and throwing them into the pen so I wanted to ID this one.

Not smartweed. Smartweed is much smaller. This is almost knee high and has leaves 2-3" long.
I wouldn’t give them the weeds. Even if it might not hurt them, do you want to risk it? I’d compost it instead.

and "Picture This" calls it "Lady's Thumb", a variety of Knotweed. Which is, apparently, also called "Jesusplant". I had no idea. (though the chevrons on yours are far better defined than on the examples they offer.

Lady's thumb can be consumed raw or cooked.

https://www.farms.com/field-guide/weed-management/ladys-thumb.aspx

http://www.weedinfo.ca/en/weed-index/view/id/POLPE

and apparently there is some confusion, and a lot of variety, regarding smartweeds and knotweeds, and where they belong.

https://wildfoods4wildlife.com/monographs/oriental-ladys-thumb-smartweed/

This is, frankly, well beyond my skill set at this point - too "deep in the weeds" if you will forgive the deliberate pun.

But even if we have the wrong ID< all the possibilities appear safe for your chickens, just non-native potentially invasives. If you decide to manage it, its to keep it from out-competing the natives, not because of concerns of toxicity to the fowl.

I believe the Plant ID app made a mistake. That's no Calladium variety ("heart of Jesus"), nor a Crown of Thorns ("Christ Thorn") or the related "Devil's Walking Stick" (sometimes called Angelica tree).

I have a black thumb, but I'm good at bumping into bad plants. Will try to load the pic into my plant app, see if I can't get a second opinion. Those ARE distinct purplish chevrons mid leaf, right???

Yes, distinct chevrons.

I wouldn’t give them the weeds. Even if it might not hurt them, do you want to risk it? I’d compost it instead.

Their run has almost no greenery left. They charge the fence eagerly when they see me coming with a handful of weeds so I'd hate to pitch a big, healthy weed they'd enjoy.

But even if we have the wrong ID< all the possibilities appear safe for your chickens, just non-native potentially invasives. If you decide to manage it, its to keep it from out-competing the natives, not because of concerns of toxicity to the fowl.

It's in the yard growing in the dirt over the septic tank (we haven't planted grass yet because we haven't had any rain for weeks).

Back
Top Bottom