Jjudge these two Delaware roosters

Strader

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Yakima
Think in choosing to keep one of these two roosters that the one on the left has the nicer tail feathers and is a bit broader. Take a look and see which you would keep. I need to let one of these go to a good home. These are the same age and the one on the right is just a tad taller.

the one on the right has a tail feathers that are not tightly grouped and not as dark, while it does have a bit larger comb and wattles.

I posted my comments on the other thread but will repeat them here:

The one with darker tail may throw better colored pullets, as long as those feathers are barred and not solid colored; that's what you don't want. He has a more proper comb (should be 5 points) than the other with the lighter tail barring, but comb is not paramount. My own Isaac has one of those darker barred tails. You want to avoid the squirrel tail, though, so I'd choose the one better tail angle. The lighter tailed one seems to have too much high flying swoop on him.

I personally would pick the darker tail guy with the better comb because it appears he has decent bulk, good wing carriage and a better tail angle, at least in that second photo. I like his hackle color better as well. Love the thick neck on him, too. He just looks like the better bird, overall, in my humble opinion.

Thank for the opinion on theses two roosters

You're welcome. Wish someone else would offer one for you. Don't let the darker barred tail put you off. With good hens, he'll throw fine progeny. My own in my avatar painting had the darker barred tail and he produced great sons and daughters. Anyway, best of luck picking your guy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom