JM Hatchery Muscovies

Le Canard de Barbarie

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
I slaughtered some 12 week old muscovy drakes today. The local variety were dressing out at 5 to 5 1/2 pounds, and the ones from JM hatchery were around 6 1/2 pounds. Nice breasts on the JM Hatchery muscovies, and the white plumage helps produce a good looking carcass. As a result, I will be culling my current domestic drake breeders and replacing them with JM Hatchery muscovy males.

Just curious what other people are getting for dressed weights on their muscovy ducks.

We've been averaging 6 lbs dressed out but process ours at 14-16wks. We had one boy weigh out at 7lbs last week. We will be doing some more this weekend and two will be 13wks old so we'll be sure to weigh them out. The two 13wks olds are Charlottes boys though and she always hatches out Big Boys.
wink.png
Charlotte's a big girl and we are keeping two of her daughters as breeders who are growing out nice and big also.

How are the pin feathers at 14 to 16 weeks of age?

A pain but waxing is making a difference. Still, next year if we decide to continue with the Scovies, we will attempt to get them processed a bit earlier. I have a problem with 11-12wk olds still "peeping" with their baby voices..... yeah, I know, probably a "maternal girl" thing.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom