John Wayne Marathon

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, Jul 5, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I absolutely love that mans movies, every last one of them, and today there was a marathon that included McClintock, The Cowboys (best ever I swear), and The Shootist. When I was 10-12 years old, in 1971-1973, my great grandmother lived around the corner from him in Balboa, CA. I used to play in his fountain, and his wife always brought me fresh lemonade. I called him Mr. Marion and her Mrs. Marion. I had NO idea who he was til I was older and watched his movies. Since then, these marathons take me back to a really great time in my childhood.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm watching "The Greatest American Hero" marathon on Scfy.

bringing back memories....

3. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    My Dad loves John Wayne movies, North to Alaska is my favorite! [​IMG] I've been watching a Jaws marathon.. buh nuh buh nuh bum bum bum

4. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:You actually knew John Wayne?[​IMG]:bow:bow

Myself I like the John Ford directed movies, Quiet Man, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, The Searchers and others. Nobody directed movies like John Ford.

Cowboys -- not so much

But The Shootist--- two thumbs up.

Been watching the movies this weekend.

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Woman, I'm with you there-hubby and I both love, love, love all his movies-is there a bad one? I don't think so! Great man and wonderful movies!! I envy you actually knowing him, how cool is that!! I even have him standing in front of our flag on my phone as a screensaver!!

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    my favorite is Three Godfathers

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  7. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I like Hatari, The Quiet Man and Donovan's Reef

ETA: I like them ALL, those are my comfort movies....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    My (now ex) husband and I were having a discussion one day of who is the better cowboy. I picked John Wayne, he said Clint Eastwood. We each talked about our reasons for about 15 minutes.

This was all done in front of my 11 year old Amazon Parrot, Marshall.

I start flipping channels, come across a John Wayne move, at which point I say "Look Marshall, it's John Wayne", to which he replies... "It's THE Man!"

I will never forget the look on my husband's face. His response was "you've ruined that bird". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by