Join DUCK Club!

I have 5 Cayugas and 3 Khaki Campbells, and a Khaki Campbell/Rouen cross. The Cayugas came from TSC and the Khaki Campbells were adopted. I'm so proud of how well they grew to get along.💕
Polish_20210728_165821724.jpg

Joining!

We've had ducks for 2 years now. We currently have Rouens only. They are a a nice breed and last a fare amount of eggs while providing meat as well. We haven't raised them with the intent of met yet, but do process extra drakes when they mature and reach a good size.

Right now the biggest problem we have is keeping the duck run tidy. They poop and poop and poop. I put a thick layer of straw down and that helped for a bit. Now I am dumping grass clippings weekly into the run. It certainly helps. We have been leaving towards a composting in place method lately because the ground in the run was low and continues to settle after we filed in a 4ft deep pond and switched to kiddie pools. I could just level the ground now and change our approach since we have successfully built up the ground quite a bit now.
That said, if you have an outdoor uncovered run, how do you keep it clean (at least in duck terms that is so that it's safe for them and not smelly)?

And since everybody loves pics of ducks:
20210615_164720.jpg

Joining!

We've had ducks for 2 years now. We currently have Rouens only. They are a a nice breed and last a fare amount of eggs while providing meat as well. We haven't raised them with the intent of met yet, but do process extra drakes when they mature and reach a good size.

Right now the biggest problem we have is keeping the duck run tidy. They poop and poop and poop. I put a thick layer of straw down and that helped for a bit. Now I am dumping grass clippings weekly into the run. It certainly helps. We have been leaving towards a composting in place method lately because the ground in the run was low and continues to settle after we filed in a 4ft deep pond and switched to kiddie pools. I could just level the ground now and change our approach since we have successfully built up the ground quite a bit now.
That said, if you have an outdoor uncovered run, how do you keep it clean (at least in duck terms that is so that it's safe for them and not smelly)?

And since everybody loves pics of ducks:
View attachment 2777145
I never knew how dirty ducks were till I had them. Felt like parenthood raising them from day 1

Back
Top Bottom