Join me on my Classroom Hatch-A-Long, support and advice appreciated!

Pics
Forgot to add…we had a big snowstorm last night into the morning. I was so upset! I didn’t think I’d be able to set today, but one of my co-workers had the custodian’s cell, and he said he would be here if I wanted to set everything up! 😊

Just waiting for the temp to get back up to 99.5 and headed back home. Should I close the vent a little to help maintain humidity until the morning? It’s right at 50% now.

Also pick up a few 3m wall hooks to use as handles on the lid. Wish I had remembered to do so for my hatch. Even one on the front would have made it easier to maneuver.

Do you have specifics on how this would be done? Or type of hooks used? I'm headed for groceries today so could easily pick up 3M hooks. I didn't find anything here when I searched a couple of different ways.

Forgot to add…we had a big snowstorm last night into the morning. I was so upset! I didn’t think I’d be able to set today, but one of my co-workers had the custodian’s cell, and he said he would be here if I wanted to set everything up! 😊

Just waiting for the temp to get back up to 99.5 and headed back home. Should I close the vent a little to help maintain humidity until the morning? It’s right at 50% now.
I leave my vents open on my incubator.
Why did you decide to incubate at 50% humidity? I'd do 35-45% max.
@MGG @CluckNDoodle vents? humidity for NR360?

I leave my vents open on my incubator.
Why did you decide to incubate at 50% humidity? I'd do 35-45% max.
@MGG @CluckNDoodle vents? humidity for NR360?
Yeah, I leave the top vent open the whole time. I feel like the extra air is just better.
For chicken eggs, I agree 50% sounds high. But if the air cells look good it's probably fine. Humidity needs vary based on location and elevation.

Yeah, I leave the top vent open the whole time. I feel like the extra air is just better.
For chicken eggs, I agree 50% sounds high. But if the air cells look good it's probably fine. Humidity needs vary based on location and elevation.
I also think humidity depends on the incubator.
In my cabinet incubator I incubate at 50% no problems, but my tabletop incubators at 35% except for my styrofoam incubators which are closer to 25%. 😳

I added the water to get it to around 40% and I put in the same amount I’ve been adding during practice but it went up to 50. Next time I add water I’ll add a little less. I did leave the vent open so hopefully it will be ok in the morning when I get in.

@DavidReaves I added two command hooks & it is so much easier to open it now! I can take a pic in the morning so you can see where I put them. @SheaLoner thank you so much for that tip, I can’t believe what a difference!

I also took weights of each egg last night so I can make sure the weight is dropping throughout. Good scale with a small plastic bowl on top & subtracted the weight of the bowl with each measure. When is the next day I should take weights? I can candle on day 3 & might see some veining, right?

I added the water to get it to around 40% and I put in the same amount I’ve been adding during practice but it went up to 50. Next time I add water I’ll add a little less. I did leave the vent open so hopefully it will be ok in the morning when I get in.

@DavidReaves I added two command hooks & it is so much easier to open it now! I can take a pic in the morning so you can see where I put them. @SheaLoner thank you so much for that tip, I can’t believe what a difference!

I also took weights of each egg last night so I can make sure the weight is dropping throughout. Good scale with a small plastic bowl on top & subtracted the weight of the bowl with each measure. When is the next day I should take weights? I can candle on day 3 & might see some veining, right?
good luck! I hope lots of them hatch! I set mine today as well. I have to run my NR360 at 100.5 in order for it to hold the 99.5 or so temp that it should be but the humidity seems almost spot on for it.

I don't weigh, but yes, if you candle on day 3 you should be able to see some spider veining! Don't toss any though until at least day 14.

It sounds like there are a few of us who are almost starting our own, Easter beginning, hatch along!

I set 22 farm-yard cross eggs from the farm down the road on Friday night, We are trying to time the emergence for the weekend for my granddaughter to visit. Coincidently, that's the weekend for Mothers' Day. They are a mix of Rhode Island Red and Cream Legbar. I have 16 eggs from the Rhode Island Red hens (various shades of brown) and six from the Cream Legbar hens (light, sky blue). There is a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Cream Legbar Rooster. I'll see what I get when they hatch. I'm hoping, if I have any RIR and LB crosses that they will still be auto-sexing (but reading some other threads on the forums tell me this is not so).

Back
Top Bottom