Joining the Chicken Crew - Take Two

DeniseL

Chirping
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
So we're on attempt #2 with chickens. Attempt #1 in 2011 was catastrophically derailed when a raccoon got into the chicken tractor coop portion by removing the side and killed our three birds. We have latched, screwed, and padlocked the poor tractor to pieces and are hoping it is now raccoon proof. Hubby heard raccoons outside tonight so we may find out sooner rather than later.

We currently have 4 in our flock: Tetrazzini (a Plymouth Barred Rock), Marsala (a Black Australorp), Paprikash (a Gold Laced Wyandotte), and Florentine (a Java). Last year's crew we an Australorp, Ameracauna, and a Rhode Island Red.

Stumbled onto BYC looking for help on getting the girls to go up the ramp at night into the coop - going to try a light and locking them in for a couple days. Could be in trouble now that I have access to a chicken community. ;) Hubby and I have both wanted chickens for several years and finally took the plunge last year. Our three year old is in love and asks to check on the chickens several times a day.

We also have a dog and three cats, four fish, two steer, and two goats. Not exactly a farm but it seems like it some days.

Thanks for the great resource. Looking forward to talking chicken!

Denise

Hello Denise, welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us.

Hello and :welcome

So sorry that you lost your flock last year! I hope everything goes well for you from hereon in. Locking your chickens into the coop might be the way to go, I've heard of tales of the light in the coop having no effect. Hopefully they should get the hang of it soon! :woot

Don't hesitate to ask any quesitons you might have, and enjoy the site :D

welcome-byc.gif
Hope second time around goes a lot better.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I have used a radio with my meat birds at night. We have it on a timer to come on at dark and goes off in the morning. I haven't had a problem with coons since. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom