Joining the Duck Side

ihatedarkroast

Songster
Sep 28, 2021
Martinsville, Virginia, USA
IMG_20221230_132940011.jpg
IMG_20221230_132805762.jpg
IMG_20221230_132916761.jpg

I'm a duck newbie but after thinking a while on it, finally got 4 pekin last night from some German Baptist family (similar to Amish) about 30 minutes from me. The ducks already made a mess of their water so I think they are eating.and drinking ok. But they are clearly terrified of me, the coop, and the chicken house mates. They won't set toe outside the coop into the run or come out from under the chicken nesting boxes. I even brought them some leftover donuts but they were scared of the donuts too. Any thing I can do or just leave them be?

I have no idea how old they are. The one by itself with the grayish beak appears to be my only drake though. He kicked up a huge fuss when I got him out of the crate last night. Since they were only $15 a piece and a flock downsizing, I expect they may be older. Hopefully after they settle in maybe there will be eggs. My husband just wants to eat them tho. Lol. They are so soft to hold, much cuddlier than the chickens so i dunno I might get attached. Do they look elderly?

They are lovely ducks. The one with the paler beak may need some added vitamins in her water if she is laying. [My son's prodigious layer's beak has gone pale where as the flockmates have not] I put nutridrench/ rooster booster in the drinking water for them all. Yours may just be a natural variation that has been pale all the duck's life, but we cannot know that.

It takes time for ducks to adjust to new surroundings and a new regime.

Do feed them duck pellets -- donuts are not suitable as food or a treat. Treats might be defrosted frozen peas, chopped up kale, scrambled egg, or dry dog food.

If the ducks have never been pets, they will settle down and will come round where you are when you are in the vicinity, in time. They will associate you with food. But they may never come and eat from your hands. I have two rescued pekins that came to me as juveniles in very poor condition. They are well nourished, and healthy now; they have learnt that they like peas [they did not know that then they first arrived] and they come and hang out with my other ducks around me if I am working in the back yard or go and sit and hang out with them. But the two will not eat out of my hand, eight months after recuing them and caring for them in my house the first 4 weeks. Ducks need to be cared for as pets with handling and hand feeding from when they are tiny ducklings if there is to be a chance that they will be petted and eat from one's hand. Not all ducks become so tame even when cared for from being day old ducklings.

Yes! Pekins are the fluffiest ducks to cuddle!

Do keep us in the loop on your progress with your new flock!

So you have a male duck, then? It's not recommended to keep drakes with chickens because if they try to mate with them, they can injure or kill the hen due to physical incompatibilities.
Can't tell by looking at these ducks jf they're super old but they're certainly adults.
I've eaten Pekin before and it's quite tasty. 🙃 but they are usually such lovebugs that I can understand getting attached to them.

They are lovely ducks. The one with the paler beak may need some added vitamins in her water if she is laying. [My son's prodigious layer's beak has gone pale where as the flockmates have not] I put nutridrench/ rooster booster in the drinking water for them all. Yours may just be a natural variation that has been pale all the duck's life, but we cannot know that.

It takes time for ducks to adjust to new surroundings and a new regime.

Do feed them duck pellets -- donuts are not suitable as food or a treat. Treats might be defrosted frozen peas, chopped up kale, scrambled egg, or dry dog food.

If the ducks have never been pets, they will settle down and will come round where you are when you are in the vicinity, in time. They will associate you with food. But they may never come and eat from your hands. I have two rescued pekins that came to me as juveniles in very poor condition. They are well nourished, and healthy now; they have learnt that they like peas [they did not know that then they first arrived] and they come and hang out with my other ducks around me if I am working in the back yard or go and sit and hang out with them. But the two will not eat out of my hand, eight months after recuing them and caring for them in my house the first 4 weeks. Ducks need to be cared for as pets with handling and hand feeding from when they are tiny ducklings if there is to be a chance that they will be petted and eat from one's hand. Not all ducks become so tame even when cared for from being day old ducklings.

Yes! Pekins are the fluffiest ducks to cuddle!

Do keep us in the loop on your progress with your new flock!
Thanks. I will keep all of that in mind. I know bread isnt healthy but was hoping bribery would work lol. They are ignoring it. The one with the pink beak seems to be a drake as he has a whisper quack and an extra wide tail. No curly feather tho so we'll see. I can get the vitamins from the feed store easily enough. Anyway thank you!

So you have a male duck, then? It's not recommended to keep drakes with chickens because if they try to mate with them, they can injure or kill the hen due to physical incompatibilities.
Can't tell by looking at these ducks jf they're super old but they're certainly adults.
I've eaten Pekin before and it's quite tasty. 🙃 but they are usually such lovebugs that I can understand getting attached to them.
I had read that as well but also read from others it depends on the drake and how many female ducks can ceep him busy. They came from a farm that had ducks, chickens, guineas, and geese all in the same coop and yard. The chickens and guineas roosted on top of poles and rabbit hutches in the barn and the ducks seemed to be underneath if they weren't outside. But i do have a separate coop for them. I need to put a fence around it tho so its secure against predators.

I had read that as well but also read from others it depends on the drake and how many female ducks can ceep him busy. They came from a farm that had ducks, chickens, guineas, and geese all in the same coop and yard. The chickens and guineas roosted on top of poles and rabbit hutches in the barn and the ducks seemed to be underneath if they weren't outside. But i do have a separate coop for them. I need to put a fence around it tho so its secure against predators.
As long as you are aware. Ultimately it's up to you. 👍

Good luck with your new ducks!

My main duck flock live with my chickens and my drake is fine around them.
Good to know some drakes are less prone to drama. So far mine seems to be super submissive and pacifist so hoping for the best.

*Update: My remaining cornish cross hen has been cuddling with the ducks at night. She's like, finally someone down at my level! LOL.

Back
Top Bottom