Jose s Marneck chooks

Pics

Chooks man

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Nov 12, 2015
Sydney NSW Australia
this thread is dedicatted to create a pure strain of EE layer . not just a backyard cross but true breeding stock .true bred strain .will take me about 5 to 6 years to finish this project .going a be fun for sure .I ll make my own standard .
P! Parent stock I m using are ;
Dam s side =10 Cream Leg Bar pullets . lay large Blue eggs . big long body type .all sibling from a same pen .all have Straight large bent comb .all have they hoody except one .
Sire side = 2 Marans cockerels .both are square type
1 BLcopper Big Blue very dark egg layer line .heavy short back type .no deformity or any conformation deffect .feathered shanks .
2 double barred golden cuckoo buff . come from #4 egg layer line .faultless comb .free from any conformation deffect .feathered shanks .

Pen1 Big Blue and his hens .
P1100382.JPG
P1100230.JPG

chooks man

what are my goal .
create a strain of EE eggs layer with a same body type and carracteristic .
1-Body type I ll be selecting for .
2-Meduin /heavy breed . long and meaty .
3-Comb Straight .small . not arched
4-head .thick and robust .no hoody
5-eyes .bright orange.
6-Neck .solid ,long and arched
7-Back .long .flat and wide .
8-Tail .small held at 60 degees max.
9-Legs .yellow not feathered
10-Chest ,very deep and wide
11-Abdomen .wide and full
12-Comb Straight .small /meduin
13-Carriage .Meduin tall ,held up right. not too tall.
14-Eggs .supper large and colourfull .
15-laying ability . good layers
16-Broodiness . none.
body colour . Cream Golden Cuckoo and Black /Blue Tail Buff
cockerels should look like this rooster one of the sire .Golden Boy . want to keep this gorgeous body pattern , will breed well with CLB
P1100184.JPG

chooks man

Method I be using is .
breed the Golden Boy Pen2 with 4 CLB pullets .hatch 25 chicks from each hen. 100 total as F1. all of them will be barred some golden other buff . next season i ll mate the best few cockerels to the best pullets to make the F2 .this pen is to breed the body pattern i m looking for .Cream Golden cuckoo Ewh/Ewh and e+/e+ like CLB.
eazy to fix in this pen .because the Golden Boy carries the same pattern as the CLB pullets with a added Dark Brown gene Db.
P1100227.JPG
P1100228.JPG
P1100302.JPG
P1100229.JPG

3 weeks time I ll start collectting they eggs for incubation .
chooks man

Pen1. Blue Copper cockerel Big Blue and his CLB pullets will be bred for the dark colourfull eggs .
I ll do a same thing I ve done with pen 2 hatch 100 chicks for this season and select the best F1 to breed from to make the F2 progeny .
this pen the pattern breeding going to be a little challenging .because of the dominance of the BL copper cockerel ER/ER. has to be bred out litter or breed the golden cuckoo ER/ER out of them . Blue golden cuckoo will be nice .
P1100379.JPG
P1100388.JPG
P1100381.JPG
P1100386.JPG

chooks man

Thanks for sharing your breeding project, I like it.

How many eggs per year are you trying to obtain? it's usually the average of both parents(How many egg per year your CL line hens produce?) Perhaps they will be of a dual purpose type?

Also no Db(Dark Brown) restrictor found in Marans. The restrictor is Columbian(Co)

one part of my breeding program is missing .Necked Neck chooks Rooster .
very hard to find any for sale in OZ .
when I find a NN Rooster I ll mate him to all the 2 CLB pullets and 2 Marans pullets very dark eggs layers .
when all the progeny from all 3 pens { 2 for the moment} reaches stage F3 ,I ll start mixing them up to make 3 breeding pens to breed F4 .the season after will be 6 breeding pens to produce F5.

tomorrow I ll speak to my friends from NSW chooks club .se if they can help .

chooks man

Thanks for sharing your breeding project, I like it.

How many eggs per year are you trying to obtain? it's usually the average of both parents(How many egg per year your CL line hens produce?) Perhaps they will be of a dual purpose type?

Also no Db(Dark Brown) restrictor found in Marans. The restrictor is Columbian(Co)

first welcome to the thread .
yes they will be dual purpose breed .both parents stock Marans and CLB are meduin size dual purpose breed .
the eggs number will try to kkep it a same 150/180 large egg like the marans .

Dark Brown restrictor gene is actually the origial gene of the Black Tail Buff marans not a Columbian .
the Dark Brown restrictor produce better hackle marking { less hackle marking. just a thin flame on both hackle rooster and hens} when is in double form .

we in OZ have very old marans line .they come to this country long time ago before the 50 ith restriction on the import .
so we do have have some old school type marans with the older gene. Dominant white .and true Buff .they where just mixed in the breeding .

chooks man

here a marans cockerel I m using for the moment to breed body type .he is Blue Tail Buff .marans .he is F1 his sire is BTB and his Dam is BL copper .
he is buff because the restrictor gene is carring is Db .dominant to ER if he was Co restrictor based he wil be Blue or Black not Buff .

chooks man

Dark Brown restrictor gene is actually the origial gene of the Black Tail Buff marans not a Columbian
Black Tail Buff on Wheaten based chick down is really not that hard to produce on Columbian based only(just look at New Hampshires), Db is closely linked to Pg(pattern gene) and Melanotic(Ml) breeds that it's found is on Hamburgs(pencilled, spangled and laced) and in Birchen based Lacing(Polish, Orps). is highly unlikely that it's on the old strain Marans, a test mating to a solid black bird should clarify the mutation(chick down will be dark brown instead of black)

Back
Top Bottom