Joy is not Laying?

AShelDuck1

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Oklahoma
Joy started laying... Earlier this year?

She would lay in weird places and bury her eggs. We had the hardest time finding them. And then she would go missing.

We found she was going under our duck house! And she was sitting on the eggs. (Unfortunately unfertilized)

We closed up under the duck house because humans can't get under there. But we still can't find her eggs.

I'm beginning to think that she is not laying at all.

What would you do with her? She seems happy and healthy. She comes to breakfast and is the first to tell me if the water is low or the food is inadequate.

Joy started laying... Earlier this year?

She would lay in weird places and bury her eggs. We had the hardest time finding them. And then she would go missing.

We found she was going under our duck house! And she was sitting on the eggs. (Unfortunately unfertilized)

We closed up under the duck house because humans can't get under there. But we still can't find her eggs.

I'm beginning to think that she is not laying at all.

What would you do with her? She seems happy and healthy. She comes to breakfast and is the first to tell me if the water is low or the food is inadequate.
Is there any way to keep her confined to an area to check if she’s laying. like you said she may be laying and burying them maybe when you check their area you can check for dirt that has recently been moved around and see if they are buried

Is there any way to keep her confined to an area to check if she’s laying. like you said she may be laying and burying them maybe when you check their area you can check for dirt that has recently been moved around and see if they are buried
Like put her in a dog kennel for 24 hours?

How old is she? Where about do you live? As the days get shorter many stop laying for the winter. The older they are the more likely it will happen. If she was broody I would think it more likely as well. Is she molting? They usually stop laying when molting too. What kind is she? Those bred for egg-laying (Khaki Campbell’s, Runners, etc.) are more likely to lay year round.

How old is she? Where about do you live? As the days get shorter many stop laying for the winter. The older they are the more likely it will happen. If she was broody I would think it more likely as well. Is she molting? They usually stop laying when molting too. What kind is she? Those bred for egg-laying (Khaki Campbell’s, Runners, etc.) are more likely to lay year round.
She's black with white spots. She's a mix breed. Her eggs were blue. She's a year and a half. We are in Oklahoma. It's still pretty summer and her eggs went missing at the peak of summer. Last month her feathers were askew and crazy maybe she was molting?

She's black with white spots. She's a mix breed. Her eggs were blue. She's a year and a half. We are in Oklahoma. It's still pretty summer and her eggs went missing at the peak of summer. Last month her feathers were askew and crazy maybe she was molting?
I bet she was molting. I had one molt then too. She may start up again soon or wait for spring. It is the day length, not the temperatures, that trigger them. Good news, if she has stopped for the winter, they usually start back in February, as the days lengthen.

Back
Top Bottom