JTS' Meat Rabbit Adventures

Pics
What age did you butcher them for pelts? :0 I'm really interested in rex but I've heard most don't butcher at 10 weeks for pelt, but never quite say when they *do* haha

If you want good thick pelts, you probably want to butcher in the middle of winter, no matter what age they are.

Craig's list is a great place to find Flemish Giants in my area. Where are you located?

FGs are big rabbits. They need much bigger cages than a red or NZ, they take longer to grow, eat more feed before reaching processing weight, and the ratio of bone is higher, so they aren't the most desirable meat rabbit. Pelts are huge though, and I think they are ok when cross bred with another breed.
The FG itself would be more of a pet (so not worried too much about feed/meat ratios) though I wouldn't mind crossing it with another breed for meat-focused kits. I saw a French lop a while back at work and a rabbit the size of a cat was pretty neat. I can custom make a giant cage and I don't mind free ranging it under supervision for exercise. I like the look of the FGs better than the floppy eared French lop. I'm around the Spring/Tomball/Montgomery TX area.

I found someone with FGs. I think I’ll try the meat rabbits for a year, and if I really like them I’ll get a FG as a graduation present to myself. On the plus side, I found a place with like every rabbit breed imaginable too which opens up my breed options. They said they have New Zealand, Satin, Californian, and I believe rexes. Some of the smaller “pet” varieties too. Does anyone have experience/opinions with NZs and/or Satins?

I think if you are going to have one doe for meat, I think you cannot go wrong with New Zealand. My NZ doe just had her first litter at 6 1/2 months old. She had 10 babies, and nine are still alive right now 2.5 weeks later. Her mothering instincts and abilities, litter size, and her size make for a GREAT meat doe. If you want to try other things, and don't care about pure breeding, just get a buck with a standard weight of 8-10 lbs. He will likely make a good pair with your NZ. I am no expert. What I am suggesting is the route I have taken and so far keeping rabbits has been very fun/rewarding/productive.

Things are looking great so far! I would suggest a wire floor but your setup looks more than adequate and you seem ready to clean as needed. Maybe if the rabbits are getting dirty you can prop the cages up above the trays on 2x4s, instead of the trays inside. THis would still catch the waste but the rabbits couldn't lay in it. I am sure you will observe and adapt as needed.

What kind of hay did you get?

I think if you are going to have one doe for meat, I think you cannot go wrong with New Zealand. My NZ doe just had her first litter at 6 1/2 months old. She had 10 babies, and nine are still alive right now 2.5 weeks later. Her mothering instincts and abilities, litter size, and her size make for a GREAT meat doe. If you want to try other things, and don't care about pure breeding, just get a buck with a standard weight of 8-10 lbs. He will likely make a good pair with your NZ. I am no expert. What I am suggesting is the route I have taken and so far keeping rabbits has been very fun/rewarding/productive.

Things are looking great so far! I would suggest a wire floor but your setup looks more than adequate and you seem ready to clean as needed. Maybe if the rabbits are getting dirty you can prop the cages up above the trays on 2x4s, instead of the trays inside. THis would still catch the waste but the rabbits couldn't lay in it. I am sure you will observe and adapt as needed.

What kind of hay did you get?
Thank you for sharing! Timothy for loose hay and the pellets are alfalfa based.

What age did you butcher them for pelts? :0 I'm really interested in rex but I've heard most don't butcher at 10 weeks for pelt, but never quite say when they *do* haha

If I'm pelting, I prefer a minimum of 16 weeks of age, 12 weeks is the absolute earliest. This provides a "roaster" carcass, as its too tough to fry. It is perfectly fine for a crockpot or oven, even soups. And the pelt is thick enough not to tear easily.

Back
Top Bottom