JTS' Meat Rabbit Adventures

Pics
If I'm pelting, I prefer a minimum of 16 weeks of age, 12 weeks is the absolute earliest. This provides a "roaster" carcass, as its too tough to fry. It is perfectly fine for a crockpot or oven, even soups. And the pelt is thick enough not to tear easily.
Roasters are nice because they provide more servings and have better flavor, in my opinion, and even at 16-20 weeks are much more tender than a wild rabbit. Being able to use the pelt is an added bonus.

For older rabbits, such as retired breeders, dry pack pressure can them. Deboned or not, they make their own juice in the jar, and it is amazing! They also grind well. You haven't lived until you've make tacos out of ground rabbit.

Another use for older rabbits- lasagna.

I am not a fan of red sauce with pasta, but my son and husband are. They were pestering me for lasagna. I made a 9x13 "regular " lasagna for them.

For me, I made a 9x9 rabbit lasagna using a white sauce and chard from the garden. I used half a quart jar of canned rabbit. The little buggers started eating mine. I made you your own. Take a hike, dudes!

The other half of the jar, and the liquid in it, was used for wild rice hotdish later in the week.

I’m so excited about Saturday! I wonder what bunnies will come home with me. Because right now I have no clue.

Forgot if they have Rex or not

They have Satins which are large and really pretty.

I’ve read good things about the New Zealands but in photos I don’t find them particularly attractive. Maybe in-person will change that.

I like the Californians and will probably have a doe in that breed.

And then they have other breeds too...

Only option, buy them all.

Insomnia again... I was reading about your frizzle chick & teeny chick and went searching for an update... (how are they?) and found this thread.
I’m so sorry about your father. I can’t imagine. Are you doing okay?
I understand needed a project to immerse yourself in. I did the same when my mother unexpectedly passed.
I have an English lop Angora mix as a pet. She’s huge. I had Netherland dwarves many years ago. I’ve never had rabbit meat. I hope to gain the confidence to butcher some cockerels in the near future though.
Best of luck on your rabbit adventure!

Insomnia again... I was reading about your frizzle chick & teeny chick and went searching for an update... (how are they?) and found this thread.
I’m so sorry about your father. I can’t imagine. Are you doing okay?
I understand needed a project to immerse yourself in. I did the same when my mother unexpectedly passed.
I have an English lop Angora mix as a pet. She’s huge. I had Netherland dwarves many years ago. I’ve never had rabbit meat. I hope to gain the confidence to butcher some cockerels in the near future though.
Best of luck on your rabbit adventure!
The frizzle was a rooster and got aggressive so he was dinner one night. Namentuppen the runt is a girl though so she's a pet now! She's the sweetest thing. Still small, but bigger than before! She's doing well.

I am doing as okay as I can. Work and college keep me busy. I am so sorry about the loss of your mother.

I butchered my two roosters for meat. It's not easy at all, but it did make me appreciate my food a whole lot more.

I'm getting my rabbits today! :jumpy

Their FaceBook says they have a select few Flemish Giants for sale...they weren't supposed to until June. We'll see if one is special. :D

For meat, we'll see if I come home with Satin, NZ, Californian, or Rex. My sister seems interested so I told her she can help pick a doe.

The frizzle was a rooster and got aggressive so he was dinner one night. Namentuppen the runt is a girl though so she's a pet now! She's the sweetest thing. Still small, but bigger than before! She's doing well.

I am doing as okay as I can. Work and college keep me busy. I am so sorry about the loss of your mother.

I butchered my two roosters for meat. It's not easy at all, but it did make me appreciate my food a whole lot more.
So happy for Namentuppen!

I understand that...doing as well as you can. Take care of yourself & don’t hesitate to reach out for help when you need it. I went to a few counselors early on. (I was just out of college.) 16 years later I need to have a good cry several times a year. Hugs.

My husband butchered our last roosters. It’s my turn to learn & appreciate where my food comes from.

Hurray for getting your rabbits today! Can’t wait to see them!

Back
Top Bottom