JTS' Meat Rabbit Adventures

Anyone want to guess breeds? :D
The oldest doe is proven, the other is 8 weeks old.
6BEC7ADE-4350-4DCE-ADAE-12974F2F64BE.jpeg

796729A3-7FEB-4B82-A6E8-C646115B6A00.jpeg
5AB54B74-9155-4FF2-A6B4-EEE4EF23F90B.jpeg

C119C500-79FC-45DE-83B8-740326008F6D.jpeg
4920501F-8EE2-41B8-AB69-C441A860CE39.jpeg
C844DA44-0771-45D9-8D40-7C0EA46C1545.jpeg

Anyone want to guess breeds? :D
The oldest doe is proven, the other is 8 weeks old.
Buck, New Zealand White
Doe, young, Flemish Giant
Doe, adult, Californian

The Flemish Giant young doe might be the color they call Sandy, but I've never been very good at identifying the various brown colors in rabbits, so I'm not entirely sure.

Buck, New Zealand White
Doe, young, Flemish Giant
Doe, adult, Californian

The Flemish Giant young doe might be the color they call Sandy, but I've never been very good at identifying the various brown colors in rabbits, so I'm not entirely sure.
Yes! You're good! She is sandy colored. They had 2 sandy does and 4 fawns.

We have some names!

New Zealand buck - Yoshi
Californian doe - Kona
Flemish Giant doe - Nutmeg or Hazel

Yoshi is really curious. He likes to stand on his hind legs to look around and enjoys nibbling on things. I'm going to have to get him a chew of some sort. He does decently well with being lifted. He's good once he's secure in my arms. It's the reaching for him he's not a fan of (can't blame him).

Nutmeg/Hazel is a sweetheart. Good with being lifted and loves exploring. She even binkied!

Kona is very nervous. Understandably so, but she'll need the most work I feel even once she's used to the new setup. She does okay if you cover her eyes. She'll try to do the whole alligator roll/kick when being securely lifted. She doesn't try to bite me when I lift her though, so she's got potential. I'll give her some time to unwind then start trying to socialize her (with long sleeves, hah).

What should I expect color-wise from any kits Kona and Yoshi have? Will they all be REWs? Will we have any with color points like Kona? Not sure of the dominance of those genes.

What should I expect color-wise from any kits Kona and Yoshi have? Will they all be REWs? Will we have any with color points like Kona? Not sure of the dominance of those genes.
New Zealand White (Yoshi) buck x Californian doe (Kona) will give bunnies that look like Californians, although the points may not be as dark. The points will be black or gray, not any shade of brown.

Normal color (like your Flemish Giant) is dominant over several genes you haven't got, which are dominant over the pointed white pattern (Californian/Himalayan), which is dominant over red eyed white (New Zealand White.)

It looks like there are 5 known alleles (genes) at that locus (spot on the chromosome.)
https://thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-genetics/color-c-series-chinchilla-sable-himalayan-rew/

New Zealand White (Yoshi) buck x Californian doe (Kona) will give bunnies that look like Californians, although the points may not be as dark. The points will be black or gray, not any shade of brown.

Normal color (like your Flemish Giant) is dominant over several genes you haven't got, which are dominant over the pointed white pattern (Californian/Himalayan), which is dominant over red eyed white (New Zealand White.)

It looks like there are 5 known alleles (genes) at that locus (spot on the chromosome.)
https://thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-genetics/color-c-series-chinchilla-sable-himalayan-rew/

So if I’m understanding correctly, any offspring that are Californian x REW NZ will look like muted Californians, and any F1 offspring that are sandy Flemish Giant x REW NZ will be sandy with black eyes?

Not sure about the others’ linage, but Nutmeg the Flemish Giant had one other sibling that was sandy and four that were fawn. Would it take breeding Nutmeg back to one of her offspring to potentially express that fawn coloration?

So if I’m understanding correctly, any offspring that are Californian x REW NZ will look like muted Californians,
Yes.

and any F1 offspring that are sandy Flemish Giant x REW NZ will be sandy with black eyes?

Probably. It depends on what other genes the NZW has. For example, you would not see white spots on a white rabbit, but you would see them on a sandy rabbit.

But I think Sandy offspring would be the most likely.

Not sure about the others’ linage, but Nutmeg the Flemish Giant had one other sibling that was sandy and four that were fawn. Would it take breeding Nutmeg back to one of her offspring to potentially express that fawn coloration?

I had to go look it up, but the difference between fawn and sandy is mostly caused by one gene. So if your doe Nutmeg has that gene, she will pass it to about half of her bunnies, and breeding her to one of her sons could produce some fawns (if he's one that got that gene.)

Did you see Nutmeg's parents? If one of them is fawn, then she must carry the correct recessive gene. (With 4 fawn siblings, it is likely that one parent is fawn, and the other a sandy carrying the recessive gene.)

Breeding her to a fawn buck would also work, but you don't have one of those right now.

Yes.

Probably. It depends on what other genes the NZW has. For example, you would not see white spots on a white rabbit, but you would see them on a sandy rabbit.

But I think Sandy offspring would be the most likely.

I had to go look it up, but the difference between fawn and sandy is mostly caused by one gene. So if your doe Nutmeg has that gene, she will pass it to about half of her bunnies, and breeding her to one of her sons could produce some fawns (if he's one that got that gene.)

Did you see Nutmeg's parents? If one of them is fawn, then she must carry the correct recessive gene. (With 4 fawn siblings, it is likely that one parent is fawn, and the other a sandy carrying the recessive gene.)

Breeding her to a fawn buck would also work, but you don't have one of those right now.
I'll be curious to see what hidden things Yoshi may have once Nutmeg is breeding age. I didn't see her parents.

Back
Top Bottom