jubilee chickens

sizzles

Hatching
Jan 8, 2016
Need input, if I was to breed this breed of chicken, would anyone be interested in buying them. They go about $75 a chicken. Wanting to know if there is a demand for them before I invest.

Jubilee is not a breed, but I suspect you are meaning Jubilee orpingtons. Orpingtons themselves are a nice breed and a lot of people like them, buff orpingtons being one of the most popular breeds and varieties of chicken - at least in the US; I'm not sure what country you're in. However that's mostly for people who just have a few for eggs or pets and not necessarily someone who wants to drop a ton of money on a chicken or wants to breed them.

To really determine if there's going to be demand, you need to judge your area. Are you in a place that a lot of people are going to want a fancy chicken that they spent a lot of money on, or are you more in an area that people just want chickens as utility birds? Jubilee is not an approved color in the US so as far as showing goes, even people who are seriously into breeding and showing might not be interested based on that. Again, I mean in the US, I'm not sure of their standing in other countries.

Also, I wouldn't consider them an investment. It is staggeringly hard to make money on chickens if you're not raising them in a commercial setting. Even if you are actually able to sell them at $75 each, you have to buy your own breeding flock, build or buy a coop, build a run, pay for feed,buy an incubator, do the incubating, and then raise chicks to at least juveniles before you sell them because I doubt you're going to get anyone to buy a chick from you for $75. You also have to factor in feed for your flock to keep them going, and if you're really looking to breed them be aware that you're going to go through a lot of feed raising up birds that then aren't going to make the cut for your breeding flock if you're culling properly. You'll be lucky if you can break even on them.

Plus, at some point, you're going to saturate your own area with the breed, and you'll have created competition because now others will have flocks of their own to sell from. So to try to sell, you'll have to either lower your prices or start looking at shipping birds, which is a whole other thing requiring proper boxes and becoming NPIP certified (again, this is for the US).

Currently I work with one of the rarest and most in demand breeds in the country that probably has one of if not the the highest selling point of any breed right now. I have yet to make any money. So if you want to go ahead and get them as a fun hobby, I'd go for it, but as far as making money, you probably won't so in terms of them being a good investment, I would say they're not. I'm not saying you can't make money on them, but it would be really hard unless you already have facilities etc ready for them and the only expensive on startup will be the birds themselves. Even then it might be hard.

Last edited:
Thank you, for your advice. I live in the Ohio valley area in a rural town in Wv. However my grandchildren will be joining 4-H I like for them to take chickens. My daughter was enter breeds of chicken that were not common in this area and majority of the time she made grand champion. But if I invest in this breed l like to sell a few to help pay for the buying of feed and other supplies needed.

Thank you, for your advice. I live in the Ohio valley area in a rural town in Wv. However my grandchildren will be joining 4-H I like for them to take chickens. My daughter was enter breeds of chicken that were not common in this area and majority of the time she made grand champion. But if I invest in this breed l like to sell a few to help pay for the buying of feed and other supplies needed.

I'm not sure how 4-H works since I've never been a part of it, but if they judge like they do at a regular APA show, she wouldn't be able to take Grand Champion with the Jubilee orps, unfortunately, because they aren't an accepted variety. Still would be fun though, and they are a gorgeous breed. I say if you like them go for it, but you might end up losing money on them in the long run. I'm sure you'd be able to sell enough of them here or there to cover some feed, though :)

Welcome to BYC! Through 4-H you can show any breed, crossbreed, hybrid, or variety of poultry. I show peafowl through FFA. Show standard chickens still don't go $75 each. Might be able to get $25 each for a show standard, mature chicken, maybe. I don't really know what the market is for show standard chickens.

I'm not sure how 4-H works since I've never been a part of it, but if they judge like they do at a regular APA show, she wouldn't be able to take Grand Champion with the Jubilee orps, unfortunately, because they aren't an accepted variety. Still would be fun though, and they are a gorgeous breed. I say if you like them go for it, but you might end up losing money on them in the long run. I'm sure you'd be able to sell enough of them here or there to cover some feed, though
smile.png
It's similar but through 4-H shows your birds don't have to meet the standard as the APA shows do. Though there was an APA show that me and a pigeon shower took Grand and Reserve Champion.
Grand Champion through FFA

2nd place through the APA.

Welcome to BYC! Through 4-H you can show any breed, crossbreed, hybrid, or variety of poultry. I show peafowl through FFA. Show standard chickens still don't go $75 each. Might be able to get $25 each for a show standard, mature chicken, maybe. I don't really know what the market is for show standard chickens. It's similar but through 4-H shows your birds don't have to meet the standard as the APA shows do. Though there was an APA show that me and a pigeon shower took Grand and Reserve Champion.
LL
Grand Champion through FFA
LL
2nd place through the APA.

Wow impressed, my daughter showed seabrights when she won grant champion. I could always drop price. Unfortunately I will be paying $75.00 for each chick. So a total of $225 for a trio. :-(

Back
Top Bottom