Jubilee orpington chicks?

Meenew

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2020
Hi there fellow chicken coopers!

I bought 5 chicks that are supposed to be jubilee orpingtons and when i looked at Meyers hatchery catalog, the chick pics did not look anything like what i have.

I didn't order through them. The "hatchery" i got them from i found out later was the puppy mill in Quebec.

I am putting pics of the chicks so you can let me know what you think they are. The black one is a orpington and the white a lakenvelder.

Thank you

Julie

Attachments

• 20200724_211702.jpg
    20200724_211702.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200822_082743.jpg
    20200822_082743.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200822_082825.jpg
    20200822_082825.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 47
Hi there fellow chicken coopers!

I bought 5 chicks that are supposed to be jubilee orpingtons and when i looked at Meyers hatchery catalog, the chick pics did not look anything like what i have.

I didn't order through them. The "hatchery" i got them from i found out later was the puppy mill in Quebec.

I am putting pics of the chicks so you can let me know what you think they are. The black one is a orpington and the white a lakenvelder.

Thank you

Julie
Welcome to BYC, Julie!
Yours look like Speckled Sussexes to me. Have you contacted the "hatchery"?

I don't know, they don't look like any Jubilee Orps I've ever seen. @Rhodebar Lover what do you think happened here?
I'm not entirely sure. Jubilee chick down tends to not have the chipmunk look to my understanding. They look like Speckled Sussex to me, but their patterns are very similar in the two breeds that perhaps the Jubilee Orps can also have a bit darker pattern? I wish I understood more of why chick down can vary so much. Even black chicks of varying breeds can have entirely different chick down which is very interesting and I do not know if it's a breed thing or slightly different genes coming into play. The body type and feather type of the breeds should vary as they mature to answer that question!

I'm not entirely sure. Jubilee chick down tends to not have the chipmunk look to my understanding. They look like Speckled Sussex to me, but their patterns are very similar in the two breeds that perhaps the Jubilee Orps can also have a bit darker pattern? I wish I understood more of why chick down can vary so much. Even black chicks of varying breeds can have entirely different chick down which is very interesting and I do not know if it's a breed thing or slightly different genes coming into play. The body type and feather type of the breeds should vary as they mature to answer that question!
Thanks for replying! It definitely is interesting.

Yes they have the stripes going down their backs and the eye liner...

They are cute...

Back
Top Bottom