Jubilee Orpington

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mixedflocker, Jul 2, 2016.

1. mixedflocker

mixedflocker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    Until today, I had what I believed to be a quad of Jubilee Orpingtons. Two regular pullets, and a blue cockerel and pullet. Today I happen to notice that one of the pullets has some curved green tail feathers under her tail. That does not make me happy, as even one rooster is a bit of an experiment for us. Please tell me I have three girls? Btw, they are approx. 16 weeks in these pictures I took today.

The three girls. The dark one looking up is my suspect.

[​IMG]

The known boy. He is a good 2 inches taller than the bigger girls, with a much larger comb and waddles. He also leads them all into the coop at night and directs them where to "puppy pile" for bed.
    [​IMG]
    The 4 together, cockerel on the end. Yes I know the buff one (why is she that color?) is runtish. She just finished a round of antibiotics and seems to finally be growing.
    [​IMG]

A better picture of my suspect.
    [​IMG]

So, oh wise BYC members, is she a "she," or do I need to rehome someone? Could a girl Jubilee Orp have some greenish feathers?

2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

IMO, it looks like a hennie :)

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

By that age... it would've had a big comb :)

4. mixedflocker

Mar 14, 2016

I hope you are right!

5. mixedflocker

Mar 14, 2016
    No one else can say why she has green tail feathers?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My understanding is jubilee is based on mahogany as the base color. So, take away the pretty speckling and you have a mahogany bird, like a good quality Rhode Island Red. They have dark tail feathers, so I think it's just a normal thing for your hen to have them.

7. mixedflocker

Mar 14, 2016

Makes sense. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by