Juju brought me another egg !

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
She is SUCH a sweetheart, and has such a soft mouth ! She brought me 13 eggs a month or so ago, when the pullets were layin, unknown to me, in the dog house. I am so proud of her, she follows the flock around, (they follow her as well) and is an awesome protector, runnin a fox off, on at least one occasion. Probably more ! The other two dogs are catchin on as well, but she knew immediately not to harm, but protect !

P2190234.JPG

A month or so ago, on @aarts recommendation, I locked them down in the coop for a week, and have been getting 6 or 7 eggs a day since then. I let them out early yesterday for some supervised free ranging, and apparently one pullet couldn't, or didn't want to make it back to the coop !

If it continues, I will put them in lockdown again for another week or so …..

Here, little Gomer Boy went in for a sniff of the egg, and she politely told him to back off ! Pretty intimidating smile !!!

P2190231.JPG

You are so lucky to have such a great dog! She will find all the hidden eggs for you! That smile is priceless! I have a good dog too, this morning at 5am I heard him howl. I went to check and he had treed a fox! I didn't know that foxes would go up a tree!

Thank you for the praise for my baby girl ! I'll pass it along to her !

I know, right ? I tried to get her to show me where she found it, but she didn't want to give up her "honey hole" !!! I'll keep an eye on her, as she will probably go check again for more prizes !

Wow ! I had no idea a fox would, or even could climb a tree ! Hopefully the fox "went away". :idunno

Thank you for the praise for my baby girl ! I'll pass it along to her !

I know, right ? I tried to get her to show me where she found it, but she didn't want to give up her "honey hole" !!! I'll keep an eye on her, as she will probably go check again for more prizes !

Wow ! I had no idea a fox would, or even could climb a tree ! Hopefully the fox "went away". :idunno
I had no clue foxes did that either, but I have the evidence. Yes, I took my dog Moki in the house knowing the fox was no danger to my flock at that point and just wanted to get away and he/she did. So your girl dog brings you the eggs and does she let you take them from her? Moki would eat them! He follows me when I gather the eggs just hoping he can get one for eating! Don't you just love dogs?? Yes!
DSC_0001 (24).JPG
moki treed grey fox.jpg
:drool

So your girl dog brings you the eggs and does she let you take them from her? Moki would eat them! He follows me when I gather the eggs just hoping he can get one for eating! Don't you just love dogs?? Yes!
:drool

Amazing pics ! Yes, she brings them TO me, and offers no resistance to me whatsoever ! Roobee, one of my other two dogs brought me a couple before, but had tooth marks in them ..... Not as soft in the mouth !

Gomer, the third, and smallest dog hasn't messed with any ….. That I know of, at least.

I did find three empty shells awhile back, when they brought me the 13 eggs, but that's pretty good, and I'm not sure who was the culprit in that instance.

Here's a link to my previous thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/egg-stealers.1345089/

I had no clue foxes did that either, but I have the evidence. Yes, I took my dog Moki in the house knowing the fox was no danger to my flock at that point and just wanted to get away and he/she did. So your girl dog brings you the eggs and does she let you take them from her? Moki would eat them! He follows me when I gather the eggs just hoping he can get one for eating! Don't you just love dogs?? Yes!
View attachment 2032037View attachment 2032038:drool

What kind of fox is it? Looks like a coon/fox hybrid:gig

Amazing pics ! Yes, she brings them TO me, and offers no resistance to me whatsoever ! Roobee, one of my other two dogs brought me a couple before, but had tooth marks in them ..... Not as soft in the mouth !

Gomer, the third, and smallest dog hasn't messed with any ….. That I know of, at least.

I did find three empty shells awhile back, when they brought me the 13 eggs, but that's pretty good, and I'm not sure who was the culprit in that instance.

Here's a link to my previous thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/egg-stealers.1345089/
Oh Juju is so good! And Roobee tries, but not all dogs can be gentle. All three of my bratty dogs would crack the eggs as they all beg for them! Losing 3 out of the 13 is good, you can't complain too much about that! Sweet puppies you have!

Back
Top Bottom