July 18th "Due Date"! Anyone else?

I'm 'expecting' next week too!
big_smile.png
I ordered from MPC - 1 Australorp, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 GL Wyandottes. They said to expect delivery Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday of next week..........I sure hope they come on Tuesday (I don't think I can wait until Thursday)

I'm a first timer so I've been nervous as a cat! Got the brooder all set up last weekend - found a great big old wooden chest at Goodwill; removed the top and cleaned it out then made a new top out of 2 X 2's and hardware wire.

Good to know I'm not alone!

OH My Gosh! --lroth217...you could be me!! I woke up this morning, wondering what I should have added to their water upon arrival! ACV? Electrolytes? Molasses? I'd also love to hear suggestions!
I think I may love these poor creatures to death!

I've also opted for the medicated feed and Marek's vaccine. In an ideal world, I'd love to be totally organic and natural, but thought it best to take the "easier" route as a newbie--leave as little to chance as possible.
I've raised dogs all my life and find it funny--no matter what the animal (even humans!), debate rages over what the best feed is...and discussions can get quite heated!
wink.png

erinangele-it's great to know that your's went straight to the food and water!...I've even been anxious about that! Will I have to dip their beaks? What if I accidently drown them? LOL

I haven't told many people about my "Project Chicken"--most of my coworkers would probably think I've finally lost it! AND, if I let on about just HOW excited I am, they'd REALLY be convinced!!
My husband has grudgingly gone along with it--with an eye roll here, and a groan there...but he's as much an animal lover as I, and I know that he'll ultimately be as attached to the "girls" as I will be, once he actually sees them!
He's been telling me not to name them. That way, if anything happens, I won't be so upset...Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence!

Best of luck to all, whether hatching or arriving by USPS!
thumbsup.gif

GardenState38]Good to know I'm not alone!
OH My Gosh! --lroth217...you could be me!! I woke up this morning, wondering what I should have added to their water upon arrival! ACV? Electrolytes? Molasses? I'd also love to hear suggestions!
I think I may love these poor creatures to death!

I wouldn't add molasses because I believe that is used as a laxative and you don't want pasty butt. I am not going to use ACV until they move to their coop and I am only going to use the whole unfiltered kind. But this is just my own opinion based on other people's posts.

I had someone recommend the Quik Chik because it helps with the shipping stress. Yes, next week will be torture until I get the call from the P.O.!
barnie.gif
<<maybe I should start drinking water laced with Quik Chik so I can relieve my shipping stress!!>>

Wow, please don't tell me that love can kill them or I will be guilty of mass serial poultricide!!!​

Last edited:
My first six chicks came from TSC, so I didn't have to worry about stress right out of the shipping box, but I started those chicks with Sav-a-Chick in their water, and they all survived and thrived. I had read that they shouldn't start getting organic ACV until they were a couple of weeks old, so that's what I did. They loved the electrolyte water, but when I added ACV, they cut way down on drinking water so I stopped.

Pasty butt is caused by stress, so I had a box of play sand in their brooder from the beginning, gave them electrolyte water and never had pasty butt even once. The sand contains pre-biotics, grit and minerals, which helps digestion, which reduces stress. The electrolytes helps with stress, also, and the combination seemed to totally eliminate pasty butt and other health issues.

Since I only feed organic, soy-free feed and scratch, my chicks didn't receive any medications or vaccinations and are all very healthy at nearly 20 weeks old.

This worked so well for me with my first batch of chicks, this is what I will be doing for the 33 chicks I get in the mail next week. Now, if I can just get past freaking out because my 33 chicks will be at the mercy of the USPS next week!
barnie.gif

My chickies are due the 18th, too! YAY...we can be hatch buddies
big_smile.png
I started out with 32 but 1 exploded in the bator and 2 had a blood ring but we had a total of 29 egs that all had little moving babies inside when we candled them last week. I was going to candle them before I put them in lock down but got scared and stopped at 3 but the 3 I saw were still moving around!
Did you candle any of yours or did you just let them be?

jumpy.gif
<~sending for good luck!

Quote:
Oh, Im sorry, I just reread your post and somehow misread it. I thought you said you were hatching but now I see you said you are recieving them...oops!

Anyone else getting butterflies in your tummy? I am excited and scared at the same time. We have had very mild weather for over a week (highs in the 70's to low 80's, lows high 50's to low 60's) and it was supposed to continue that way, but now they are calling for mid- to high 90's for the next 10 days. I will probably get mine on Tuesday because it is only 400 miles between the hatchery and me, and Tuesday is supposed to be HOT!

I am also freaking because I am getting 33 chicks this time, which is 27 more than I raised back in March. What have I gotten myself into????
barnie.gif
ep.gif
Plus the fact that 12 are meaties, which need to be raised separate from the layers.

I didn't sleep much last night and I doubt I will sleep until the babies are here safe and tucked in to their brooder nursery.
jumpy.gif

Wildflower_VA,

I'm just north of you and I'm worried about the temps too - it's supposed to be really hot this week.

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full with 33 chicks!!

Back
Top Bottom