July 1st hatching ..DAY 23 for a few of us!

My BCM's hatched today.

Out of 10:

One was infertile.

Five died before the even tried to pip the inner membrane.

Three hatched out beautifully, and black.

One hatched out as a wheaton and it's toes were fused.

All in all I am thankful for the four that hatched.

29722_0703091958a.jpg

29722_0703091958.jpg

29722_0703091959a.jpg

I did minor surgery on the wheaton to correct the fused toes as soon as possible. It sorta hobbled around, and fell over a lot before. In the last pic, it's hard to tell, but it's standing and doing really well!

I have it segregated in a small cage that I made to go inside my brooder so the others don't peck at it's toes. That way it's not all lonely either.

my chick i had to help out looked to have Splayed leg and i was going to hobble it once it dried but it didn't make it, it was worn out from a long hatch i think, it was never as loud as the others and pretty lethargic.

well i think im going to pull the plug on the bator today. Candled the last 3....two of which were dead and i just could of SWORE i saw movement in the third. That was all yesterday and i woke up with no pip. I had nothing to lose so i gave him some more time.

At the end of my hatch here is what i came up with

1st pip: June 30th at 2:45 am....Hatch June 30th 1:45 pm

2nd pip: June 30th at 6:45 pm...Hatch July 1st 6:50 am

3rd pip: June 30th 6:55 pm...Hatch July 1st 7:05 am

4th pip: July 1st 9:00 am...Hatch July 1st 8:57 pm

5th pip: July 1st 3:00 pm..Hatch July 2nd 3:00 am

6th pip: July 1st 11 :30 pm...Hatch July 2nd 1:45 am ( 26 hours Helped it)

7th pip: July 2nd 12:45 am...Hatch July 2nd 2:05 pm

8th pip: July 2nd 1:00 am...Hatch July 2nd 2:15 pm

All 7 of my MFD eggs hatched with no help and made great time. Only the one Buff O. egg was late hatching...he zipped about 75% around..then just sort of gave up. I believe the membrain was starting to dry and he jsut got too tired. A few moment's with the tweezers and a few shell pieces torn away later...he hatched himself out. Quite a big chick too if you ask me lol.

If you noticed...all of my MFD egg's pipped and hatched like CLOCKWORK!! lol. All of them basicly hatching within 12 hours of zipping. I was very lucky!!
No way would i ever argue with an 85% hatch rate!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok my chicks do not know how to tell time ....LOL

I'm down to 3 eggs from 12. I here pips. and one has started zipping.

Only 4 days late ... lol

Sorry!
hugs.gif
I feel your pain I had 2 pip that never made it even with help and then i had one zip at the wrong in after 12 hours i helped it, it was too weak and had leg issues and past on
hit.gif
then i had one internaly pip for 21 hours and then take 12 hours to zip and come out and thats my only baby that made it out of 17 shipped eggs most were infertile, had soap sud airsacs or broke upon arrival. But I'm trying again! Don't give up! i have 18 in the incubator now and replacement eggs arriving in a few hours from one breeder. If they zipped and died what was your humidity at the last three days? was their membrane dry when you checked them out?

Quote:

Last edited:
Ok that's the strange part. The humidity dropped when it started to zip 57% . so I increased the humidity to 80%. then Nothing, no piping ext. I kept the membrane moist,(not to moist) kept checking on it. I guess he wasn't meant to be.

Back
Top Bottom