July Hatch-a-long

I have most of mine set so I can shine a light right on top and candle from the outside.
well looks like I'm SOL
hu.gif
as I didn't set up my bator for that lol... oh well

well looks like I'm SOL
hu.gif
as I didn't set up my bator for that lol... oh well

I also watch for movement, and listen for sound(peeping) 99% of the time this is day 19 for me. Then I jump the humidity.
My dry hatch was NO water days 1-18(humidity ran a constant 29%) and on day 19(yesterday) I saw rolling, heard a peep, filled both resevors, humidity jumped to 62%, by 11pm last night I had 4 pips, 2 chicks out by 2am. I now have 6 chicks out, 2 pips and 3 doing nothing....lol Once the chicks start hatching the humidity will rise. Mine is setting at 70% right now and I have not added one drop of water.

I also watch for movement, and listen for sound(peeping) 99% of the time this is day 19 for me. Then I jump the humidity.
My dry hatch was NO water days 1-18(humidity ran a constant 29%) and on day 19(yesterday) I saw rolling, heard a peep, filled both resevors, humidity jumped to 62%, by 11pm last night I had 4 pips, 2 chicks out by 2am. I now have 6 chicks out, 2 pips and 3 doing nothing....lol Once the chicks start hatching the humidity will rise. Mine is setting at 70% right now and I have not added one drop of water.
Thanks. I have a homemade cooler-bator with a computer fan. It was the only way I could get the temps to stabilize or I'd have the temps ranging 5 or 6 degrees, for the most part it stays at 99-100. I also have bottles and jars of water, river rocks and pebbles at the bottom. I was keeping steady humidity until after day 10 I opened another air vent to let more air circulate. I hope it doesn't mess them up with the wide fluctuations of the humidity. :( I am trying to keep it at 45% but it's being a pain in the butt.

What I do is the day of lockdown I put a piece of that rubber shelf/drawer liner over the mesh if I'm using my styro bator. If I'm using my brinsea I have a piece of it cut to fit the bottom of it too. Makes it easier for the new hatchlings to get a grip when they are ready to stand without their little feet slipping. It also seems to keep the unhatched eggs from getting too bumped around when hatched chicks are scooting around the bator. I had a few nightmares with chicks slipping tendons & getting splayed legs until I started using this rubber matting. It's washes easy too.

I thought about using that but I was afraid of what fumes it might put off when it is at such a warm temperature inside the incubator. Since you have used it without problems I feel better about using it. Thanks for sharing that tip.

Three babies hatched and drying now. One is huge compared to the otheers and required help. Not sure if that one is going to make it. Poor thing had a few fire ants in its shell too

Back
Top Bottom