July Hatch-A-Long

The breeder I got 'em from says his always hatch on days 24-25. But you're right, I shouldn't panic before their time...ugh, I hate this. Last year mine all died at this exact point and I can't help but feel like I could have done something to save them.

Last edited:
Congrats on all the babies everyone. I have a question. This was my first time letting my hens hatch their own babies and I'm wondering, how long until they get up and move their booties? The chicks hatched July 7th and are very active, but the Mama's just sit tight. Is this normal? I'm guessing they know what their doing, but I figured they'd be ready to stretch their legs considering they sat so long already.

I set 42 eggs last night, due to hatch at the end of july. 18 barnyard mutts, 18 old english/cochin and frizzle bantam eggs, and 6 white leghorn/EE. Hopefully I get lots of pullets! We lost 3 to heat last week and quite a few to old age. Down to 3 eggs a day, which isn't going to cut it!

The breeder I got 'em from says his always hatch on days 24-25. But you're right, I shouldn't panic before their time...ugh, I hate this. Last year mine all died at this exact point and I can't help but feel like I could have done something to save them.

It looks like it varies for people... some say their calls take 28 days so of course there are a lot of variables. I wouldn't panic but if you have internal pips I would not be afraid to make a safe hole if there isn't progress after 8 hours or so. Honestly, I helped my ducks out more than I want to admit but they were so squeezed in there and after my last experience... well, I just didn't want to go through that again. I might have erred on the side of helping too much, but they all are healthy and active so I feel pretty good about it.

It looks like it varies for people... some say their calls take 28 days so of course there are a lot of variables. I wouldn't panic but if you have internal pips I would not be afraid to make a safe hole if there isn't progress after 8 hours or so. Honestly, I helped my ducks out more than I want to admit but they were so squeezed in there and after my last experience... well, I just didn't want to go through that again. I might have erred on the side of helping too much, but they all are healthy and active so I feel pretty good about it.

Just checked them again, no internal pips. I didn't see any movement but I also didn't want to risk picking the eggs up to get a better look. *sigh* If I lose all my eggs again I don't know what I'll do.

However I did notice that the air cells were HUGE, even bigger than when they went into lockdown, so surely that must mean that the yolks are being absorbed, and that means they're still alive. All I can do is wait and see. :/

Last edited:
I have a Serama pip! I was getting nervous because the breeder I got them from said hers hatch at 19 days under a broody. I candled a few at 19 days, saw movement but no internal pipping so I figured they were still cooking. Yesterday, still no internal pipping. Today, day 21, I went out with my flashlight.. broody jumps off the nest for about 5 minutes, just long enough to find most, if not all, have internally pipped and one has externally pipped! Everyone just has their own timing I guess! Super excited for tiny tiny Serama chicks.

Also I should have about 10 Serama eggs from my Trio soon, so I will set them in the next few days... I thought about setting them to hatch on my birthday, the 30th, but I think they will be a few days after. I am waiting for my new thermostat to arrive. I just can't control the temp in the Summer heat without it ; )

Went out to check on my broody and since this morning I now see external pips! I imagine they'll be hatching throughout the night...without me :( waaa!

Just checked them again, no internal pips. I didn't see any movement but I also didn't want to risk picking the eggs up to get a better look. *sigh* If I lose all my eggs again I don't know what I'll do.

However I did notice that the air cells were HUGE, even bigger than when they went into lockdown, so surely that must mean that the yolks are being absorbed, and that means they're still alive. All I can do is wait and see. :/

I think they have time so try to breathe... I think incubating is one of the most emotionally intense things you can do. It is like we just don't know how to be in this limbo of not knowing. Surely they will pip internally when they are ready! My broody's eggs took 2 days longer to pip that I thought they would and now they seem to be coming along.

Back
Top Bottom