July Hatch-A-Long

I think they have time so try to breathe... I think incubating is one of the most emotionally intense things you can do. It is like we just don't know how to be in this limbo of not knowing. Surely they will pip internally when they are ready! My broody's eggs took 2 days longer to pip that I thought they would and now they seem to be coming along.

I just worry since I've heard stories of call ducks being unable to break through the membrane. But seeing that air cell put me at ease, I know the yolks are being absorbed and even though I couldn't see movement I'm going to give it one more day.

I tried 1 call duck egg in with my chicks the first formed and died and the next two I tried formed and died I just don't get it! ;-( I normally have a pretty good hatch rate!

Last edited:
Oh No! Another Hen going Broody... I am not going to be able to resist! Now I want to go egg shopping!

I am happy to report the chick that was in our "clinic" was well enough to go out with its family this morning. Its thriving and doing really well now. On the downside- when I candled the remaining eggs I had placed under another broody last night I took out a few I didn't see any movement in. I didn't throw them away immediately and placed them in our breezeway and forgot about them. When I walked in there today I just so happened to look in that direction and noticed one had hatched! Wow! I guess with the Texas heat it was still able to hatch w out mom. I retrieved it at now she's our little patient in the clinic. I sure hope she makes it. She's our miracle baby!

I did so much reading about how hard it was to hatch peafowl and Serama eggs and I found that it just wasn't that helpful. I found that expecting the best and being relaxed is the way to go... no matter what anyone's experience is, it doesn't have to be mine... in fact, I find that my experiences are never exactly the same as anyone else. I can't control how things are going to work out but if I look at them positively, even when they don't go the way I want, I still get something out of it and often it is more amazing that what I originally hoped for!

I am happy to report the chick that was in our "clinic" was well enough to go out with its family this morning. Its thriving and doing really well now. On the downside- when I candled the remaining eggs I had placed under another broody last night I took out a few I didn't see any movement in. I didn't throw them away immediately and placed them in our breezeway and forgot about them. When I walked in there today I just so happened to look in that direction and noticed one had hatched! Wow! I guess with the Texas heat it was still able to hatch w out mom. I retrieved it at now she's our little patient in the clinic. I sure hope she makes it. She's our miracle baby!

I love miracle babies! That is wonderful!

I did so much reading about how hard it was to hatch peafowl and Serama eggs and I found that it just wasn't that helpful. I found that expecting the best and being relaxed is the way to go... no matter what anyone's experience is, it doesn't have to be mine... in fact, I find that my experiences are never exactly the same as anyone else. I can't control how things are going to work out but if I look at them positively, even when they don't go the way I want, I still get something out of it and often it is more amazing that what I originally hoped for!

So, true. Amazing life lessons can be taught to us by a chicken!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom