Jumbo Coturnix Quail _ Newbie

kgw

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Tulsa
Had a friend send me about 16 Jumbo Coturnix Quail.
I want them for eggs and meat so here are my questions.
1. is it better to let the females hatch them or should I try incubation?
2. How many eggs do they lay before they sit on them and should I separate them from the male at this time?

I have 3 males so they will have 4 to 5 Hens to frolic with (Wish my wife would allow me the same privilege but NOOOOOOOO0).

I am reading through the posts right now but am impatient, sorry :)
They are 5 weeks old so I do have time!

Do a search, you'll find tons of information. One vital piece of info you'd find is that coturnix rarely (VERY rarely) sit their own eggs.

Incubate the eggs. I bought 12 the day they turned 6 weeks old. I got 2 eggs that day, 3 the next & 10 the next, from 8 hens I now have 44 quail, 6 months later, & have eaten probably a hundred eggs. They are the BEST layers!

Quote:
That's actually 2 down my friend
smile.png

I have seen the "broody coturnix" threads on here but they are the exceptions, not the rule. If you seriously want to raise coturnix quail, then you need incubator/s and brooder/s.

As far as egg production goes, a hen, given the proper nutrition, lighting and sameness, should lay an egg almost every day. Weather conditions, nutrition, lighting, and other conditions can cause egg loss. My best guess...under ideal conditions... somewhere between 200 and 300 eggs a year.

Quote:
That's actually 2 down my friend
smile.png

I have seen the "broody coturnix" threads on here but they are the exceptions, not the rule. If you seriously want to raise coturnix quail, then you need incubator/s and brooder/s.

As far as egg production goes, a hen, given the proper nutrition, lighting and sameness, should lay an egg almost every day. Weather conditions, nutrition, lighting, and other conditions can cause egg loss. My best guess...under ideal conditions... somewhere between 200 and 300 eggs a year.

How much light? A single bulb over there cage? Nice fluorescent lighting?

Last winter i had mine in a unheated shelter with a shop flouresent light on at night and they never slowed down on laying. and i had a 25 watt bulb on my chickens and they laid all winter. sojono

Would You Believe Christmas Lights?

Yep Good Old Fashioned Mini Lights For Christmas Decoration--- I Prefer The Led Type, But Incandescent Work Too. At Least 14 Hrs Of Uninterupted Light A Day.

Back
Top Bottom