1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jumbo Coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chasif, Sep 3, 2014.

1. chasif

chasif New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Dear All,

I also have many varieties of coturnix and I live in a country where i cannot find the jumbo cotornix variety. I want to have this one also. Can anyone help me in this regard to create the jumbo brown by matting of different coturnix species. Is it possible ?

Thanks!

Ch Asif

2. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    It won't necessarily be the Jumbo Brown, but it's still possible for you to end up with a strain of jumbo sized quail. Keep in mind, though, that you are looking at several generations of selective breeding. What I would do is breed the largest male you have with the largest females, regardless of varieties. Keep saving and breeding only the largest quail and over time you should end up with a larger strain. Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. chasif

chasif New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Let me shoot one more question please. If i start through selective breeding, how many generations shall end it up to have the maximum sized one ?

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the genetics of the birds you start with.

Also there is no "maximum size" You'll reach a point where you birds have leg problems and then you've gone past the "maximum size" lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by