Jumbo Egg Layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ring6992, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ring6992

ring6992 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Brookshire, Tx
    I have a chicken that is consistently laying jumbo eggs, and all of my hens have only been laying for about 2 months (if that) so far. But I am trying to solve the mystery of who lays these eggs! I have Plymouth Barred Rocks, black austrolorps, a cochin, production reds, rhode island reds, and some sort of naked neck. Any guesses on who is giving me these monster eggs?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Not sure, Maybe barred rocks? & [​IMG]

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    N/E Texas
    I'd guess it's one of the reds. They lay the biggest eggs for me - sometimes jumbo plus that don't fit in a carton.

4. ring6992

ring6992 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Brookshire, Tx
    I may just have to sit outside and watch them! My poor hens.. they must think I am crazy for sitting with them for hours on end. They just have such great personalities! Thanks for the opinions and the welcome [​IMG]

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You'll have to watch to know for certain because you have more than one that could be.

My mom has a barred Rock that laid doubles every other day for her first couple of months and now (9 months later) lays singles that are too heavy to be weighed on her egg scale (antique Jiffy that I believe tops out at 2.5 oz) [​IMG] And yeah, the lid doesn't always close on the carton with Henrietta's eggs in it. Her other 3 Rocks lay large or extra-large.

OH, and Henrietta has a pretty bad wry tail and has to have her fluff trimmed or she gets manure balls. Maybe that's what makes her special.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i've got barred rocks and rhode island reds... when they started laying, 1 of them was laying such a big egg it wouldn't fit in an egg carton.... this went on for 3 months or so.. now all eggs are about the same size.. so i suspect the size will come down...i never could figure out wich hen was laying them.... look for the one thats walking with a limp...

7. The French Hen

The French Hen Tres Chic

Jul 31, 2010
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    [​IMG]

8. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe an ostrich is sneaking into your nestbox. [​IMG]

Seriously, my niece had a super jumbo egg that would not fit into a carton. The rest of her chickens' eggs were at least large but that one was huge! Hope you figure out which one it is.

9. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    My Barred Plymouth Rock lays the smallest egg around here vs a Silver Lace Wing Wyandott and a Buff Orpington.

10. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My sexlink lays jumbo or x-large consistantly, usually jumbo. So I vote sexlink. good luck with the quest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by