Jumbo or not?

Quote:
Both of ours are hens. I shall have to see if I can get a chance to weigh them. Not sure if the teachers would appreciate me harrassing the birds, lol
lol.png

Quote:
mine seem to grasp the scale with their toes and throw it back underthem while i try and set them on it EVERYTIME! i just get too darn frustrated tryin to weigh the little snots. they think it's funny to throw my scale on the ground everytime.

How about a box?

At our vet, they use a big, clear plastic jug to weigh the birds. Lots of holes it in, of course. It's actually the jug that the wrapped peppermint patties in the lobby come in, so the opening is really wide.

Not to say that you then won't be chasing around a box...

Tare the weight of the box before you put the bird in, of course, or if you like the mental exercise, you can subtract the box weight afterward.

What kind of scale does everyone use?

Quote:
mine seem to grasp the scale with their toes and throw it back underthem while i try and set them on it EVERYTIME! i just get too darn frustrated tryin to weigh the little snots. they think it's funny to throw my scale on the ground everytime.

yuckyuck.gif

I have a postal scale with a flat surface, don't know if they can grab it.

I guess it will prove interesting. I only want to weigh a few of the ones I got from craigslist, and then a few from the eggs I ordered, out of curiosity.

Make a hood like they do for Hawks? Show them a picture of a cat,? that may get them to sit still.
gig.gif

if it was me, I'd cut the toe off a sock and put them in it, fold the toe over and weigh it, and just slide them out the other end when I was done, but I never had quail before.

What is the weight difference for regular vs. jumbo bobwhites? They're larger than the other breeds, so I imagine the weights are totally different.

Quote:
O.K.....
So the million $$ question is... How do we get them to sit still and weigh them?
Having the weights is great info! Thanks!

O O O I know this one cut a sock or some pantyhose in a way it holds their wings shut then find a way to hand them from a fish scale. Don't forget to weigh your "harness" before and subtract that from your weight. I suppose you could also use some kind of digital diet food scale or similar as well. THANK YOU, THANK YOU... lol

Last edited:
Go To Your Post Office And Get A Small Priority Mail Box (free) Zero The Scales With The Weight Of The Empty Box. Then Start Stuffin 'em 1 By 1 In The Box And Get Your Weights... The Whole Sock/ Pantyhose Idea? They're Good In Theory And Work Well With Many Other Bird, But Quail Are Not 1 Of Those "many Other Birds" ( I Have Used Empty Feed Sack For Pea Fowl/ Turkeys/ Geese/ Even Young Emu And Rheas), But Those Guys Give Up Quickly And Just "take It" Quail Will Not, They Will Thrash Until They Die Of Exhaustion Or Injure Themselves, Even If You Get 1 In The Stocking And Get It Weighed You'll Likely Have To Shred The Stocking To Get It Out From All The Fidgeting And Fighting The Bird Will Do

Back
Top Bottom