Jumbo quail egg weight?

Toast n Jelly

Songster
12 Years
Jan 29, 2007
How many grams would an average jumbo coturnix hen's egg be? So far my 5-6 week old have laid 11-13- 18 (double yolk) gram egg and I'm in need of knowing how much an adult hen's egg would weigh.

Toast'n Jelly :

How many grams would an average jumbo coturnix hen's egg be? So far my 5-6 week old have laid 11-13- 18 (double yolk) gram egg and I'm in need of knowing how much an adult hen's egg would weigh.

all the publications from the universities I have read give 10 gm as an average​

Quote:
all the publications from the universities I have read give 10 gm as an average

Yes I read that too but my pullet eggs are larger than 10 gm and pullet eggs, on the whole, should weigh less than mature hens eggs.
The reason is that I bought 6 quail racks for the turner and they are fine for up to the 13 gm but tight for the bigger ones and I am trying to figure out if I should return them and just use the chicken racks if the eggs get to be bigger as they mature. Thanks for responding!

Toast'n Jelly :

Quote:
all the publications from the universities I have read give 10 gm as an average

Yes I read that too but my pullet eggs are larger than 10 gm and pullet eggs, on the whole, should weigh less than mature hens eggs.
The reason is that I bought 6 quail racks for the turner and they are fine for up to the 13 gm but tight for the bigger ones and I am trying to figure out if I should return them and just use the chicken racks if the eggs get to be bigger as they mature. Thanks for responding!​

I double decked with quail racks in two GQF Sportsman. I made spacers to raise the upper rack about 1/2". Bigger eggs went on the top rack. I discarded any that didn't fit good. They were mostly double and triple yolkers that won't hatch. At about 14 days the quail chicks in multiple yolkers were crowded enough they cracked the shell and died. Some of the bigger eggs would fit well in pheasant racks but never hatched. Tom

Tom that's good to know. So when I do hatch it should be the average size eggs that I put in for incubating and not the larger ones. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom