Jumbo quail ,question ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cotquail, Jan 8, 2015.

1. cotquail

cotquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2013
    Outaouais, Quebec, Canada
    A question to coturnix quail breeders, I have interest in qualifying and understanding the term Jumbo as used with cot quail. Obviously the overweight and size would qualify a bird as being jumbo, for me a quail over 350 grams fits the bill. By selectively breeding bigger birds we would have a line of jumbo , is this true or is it just that some birds become bigger, not necessarily guaranteed by their parentage. Do bigger birds lay bigger eggs, will a bigger egg become a bigger bird, I have heard that as a hen ages she tends to lay bigger eggs, will these become bigger birds independent of the hens size? In other words is a jumbo a certified reality dependent on parentage or is it just that a bigger bird will probably produce bigger chicks but not necessarily guaranteed. Does egg size qualify bigger birds?Will regular sized hens produce bigger chicks because as they mature they will likely produce bigger eggs? I am aware that diet plays a lot in the sizing and growth of a bird. Just wondering about the egg size and truth of the jumbo designation? Does diet affect egg size as well.More protein, larger egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by