Jumping into meat birds!!!

CDennis

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Idaho
I am so excited, just ordered by FIRST batch of meat birds from Ideal, I went red broiler over cornish cross, it just seemed like a better fit for me. Its fall around here and temps at night are getting down in the high to mid 30's so I expect I will be forced to keep them in a brooder for some time. Has anyone raised the broilers from Ideal and have any advice or does all the amazing info on other types of meat birds still apply to these guys.

Search the BYC theads for raising Freedom Rangers and CX'x. Lot's of great info for food, area and the amount of poop that these things generate.

I am 4 weeks away from processing 50 FR's and it was a learning
barnie.gif
building
smack.gif
design
sickbyc.gif
frustrating
he.gif
experience and yes I am doing it again.

old.gif

thumbsup.gif
Have fun and GL!

I made it 3 wks inside finally down to 90% changeover daily on the liter before I gave our CX the boot outside. There's one in the bunch that's either something else or really slow growing I had separated sometime into the second week that I put out too. They're some freaky looking things with all the bald areas. We had a broody and her chicks out this last early Spring (still pretty wet and chilly) that all did great, so I'm not expecting too many issues with their combined body heat. I did put a layer of that foil insulation on one side just for some extra heat retention.

Quote:
Mine are also growing slow. I booted out at 3 weeks too, when I came home from work and OMGosh the poop and smell, thats after i cleaned them less then 24 hrs later yuck. I have a tarp over them and a 150 brooder light. But I think they are using most of their nourishment to stay warmer.

I walked in and promptly started checking shoes to find out who had stepped in something.
lol.png
It took me a bit to figure out it was them.
sickbyc.gif

I've only got the one slow grower. The rest truly are living up to the "Frankenchicken" name.

Back
Top Bottom